• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat Captain question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seaservice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I could not access the "Admiralty Law" area to submit my issue, so hopefully someone will see my question here. I am a 15+ year boat operator with a U.S.C.G. issued Captain's license for up to 100 ton vessels. My license expired June 9th, 2009 and I did not think it was that soon (5 years goes by fast). I operated a Pilot boat several times (my job), bringing a maritime Pilot out to a ship. The U.S.C.G. rules state you must have a licensed operator on board when operating a boat "For Hire". I did have a licensed Captain aboard (the Pilot) when doing the work. I am meeting with the local U.S.C.G. Marine Safety Unit to discuss my inadvertently operating the boat with an expired license. Yes, my license was technically expired a few days past it's 5 year expiration date, but I did have a licensed Captain on board the vessel while operating 'for hire'. They have told me I could expect to receive a $5,000.00 fine for operate 'after expiration' -- which I seriously cannot afford. I did nothing wrong otherwise. No type of incident, accident, operating under the influence, operating dangerously or such happened. Didn't I meet the letter of the law by having another licensed Captain aboard?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was the licensed captain operating the boat?

I mean, per YOUR spin on the regulations, *I* (with my 19.5 minutes of 8-foot motorboat experience) could have operated the boat so long as a licensed captain was somewhere -anywhere- on the boat.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I could not access the "Admiralty Law" area to submit my issue, so hopefully someone will see my question here. I am a 15+ year boat operator with a U.S.C.G. issued Captain's license for up to 100 ton vessels. My license expired June 9th, 2009 and I did not think it was that soon (5 years goes by fast). I operated a Pilot boat several times (my job), bringing a maritime Pilot out to a ship. The U.S.C.G. rules state you must have a licensed operator on board when operating a boat "For Hire". I did have a licensed Captain aboard (the Pilot) when doing the work. I am meeting with the local U.S.C.G. Marine Safety Unit to discuss my inadvertently operating the boat with an expired license. Yes, my license was technically expired a few days past it's 5 year expiration date, but I did have a licensed Captain on board the vessel while operating 'for hire'. They have told me I could expect to receive a $5,000.00 fine for operate 'after expiration' -- which I seriously cannot afford. I did nothing wrong otherwise. No type of incident, accident, operating under the influence, operating dangerously or such happened. Didn't I meet the letter of the law by having another licensed Captain aboard?

Mass_Shyster

I operated a Pilot boat several times (my job), bringing a maritime Pilot out to a ship.
Unless you dropped anchor when the pilot got off your boat and waited for him/her to swim back to your boat, I suspect YOU were operating the boat for hire without another captain aboard for at least some period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">