• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boat insurance settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dreamer

I previously asked about my boat insurance claim for a gas leak I had while in winter storage. The insurance company has since received the estimates for repairs from the surveyor. They tell me now that I am to get estimates for all the repairs and cleaning the surveyor suggests and then they will compare to surveyors report and cut me a check. If I accept that check, am I not releasing them from further liability? Can I suggest they pay directly to the repair people so I am not accepting responsibility for the repairs? For example, the insurance company says the upholstery can be cleaned. Once i accept their check and if the cleaning does not remove the smell of gasoline and has to be replaced, can i have insurance company pay again? I do not agree that the boat will ever be safe, but for now I'm playing the insurance companies way, but intend to hire a private surveyor and have a coast guard inspector look at the boat before putting it in the water. If I accept the insurance companies settlement and then the boat is deemed unsafe in the end, am i screwed? Also, I have done several hours of work on the boat myself and I'm told i can be compensated for this. Can i charge whatever a professional would charge? Thanks for any input.

ALawyer

Keep dreaming. It may make sense to get a professional "public adjuster" to help you out -- the insurance company's adjuster is NOT your friend. And be sure that if you take a check the terms under which you are taking it are clearly spelled out in writing FROM the insurance company.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

J

Jontue

I am just a mom and housewife, and have learned alot off this site. But more-so, common sense will tell you-----------of course you can't go back after the fact. That is why I think we are all frustrated and confused when we come here (to this site). We want them to TELL us what to do, but in the long run, they make us think "what do we want to do" and with each case being so differant, they can't answer and be right for everyone (me included)and I have to admit that is just as frustrating. Cuz I would love to know some answers that they won't give. But I DO understand..For each case is a differant outcome, depending on the situation of that case. To each, his own..and hopefully we will figure it out with or without legal assistance. Good Luck for you and me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">