• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Body shop secretly swapped parts in car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
California- evidence that a DRP body shop replaced more componants in car than supposed to ( major parts like computer and security modules ect.) And without any disclosure to claimant verbally, written or email. Body parts appear swapped as well for low end genaric parts. Car is also almost 7 inches shorter in length than previous to it getting repaired.
What are my best options?
If i take shop to small claims can i still sue the insurance company (whom denied theft claim regarding incident since it was their preferred body shop) for bad faith?

(I have very little time left to file .......)

Some unscrupulous car dealers back in England would perform the "Cut and shut" maneuver.
Buy one car with major accident damage at the front and a similar model with damage to the rear and splice the two together.
Maybe the front is one make and model and the rear a different one, hence the 7 inch discrepancy. ;)

LdiJ

Some unscrupulous car dealers back in England would perform the "Cut and shut" maneuver.
Buy one car with major accident damage at the front and a similar model with damage to the rear and splice the two together.
Maybe the front is one make and model and the rear a different one, hence the 7 inch discrepancy. ;)
I understand what you are saying but this is not that kind of case. This isn't a dealer who bought cars. This is a body shop doing insurance work. I don't see how removing used original parts from a car and replacing them with after market new parts provides any financial gain to the body shop. What are the odds that they can sell the used original parts for enough money to cover the cost of the new after market parts?...and what are the odds that that would cause a car to be 7 inches shorter?

I agree, it does sound odd, especially the shrinking aspect. That sounds highly unlikely or even impossible.
Just have to wait for clarification from the OP.

The car in question was originally 197.7 inches long. Now its 191.1 inches long. The car was a mopar challenger with many performance parts designed for racing.. IE: tuned, lowered in front , exhaust upgraded, turbo , specialized suspension and wheels , leather seats, SRT style bumper and hood ect... these items (minus tires and leather seats) were swapped with generic and or stolen completely. Even transmission has original eteched id numbers seen under crude, hand-done etching on plate on side of bellhousing. Scan reports show fraud linking shop directly

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Were the items part of the repairs they did? For example: Did the bumper get damaged, requiring replacement?

No. They did have to R&I bumper they said in invoice to avoid spray from paint. Door was dented . That was why it was in shop at all. Had car for over 2 weeks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I am still waiting to hear what "evidence" you have.

You don't seem to be making much sense. You don't write very well either.

I do not want to disclose the details of what evidence that i have until i present it to the court . I have clearly explained enough to warrent an answer regarding legal discourse in this matter; purely in the fact that swapping parts onto /from another persons vehicle without authorization and without disclosing doing that , in any way , while corresponding with the vehicle's owner : is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">