• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bond/Bail Denial in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

d2

My husband was arrested on May 12th for destruction of property, grand larceny, breaking/entering. We are legally seperated and these crimes were committed agains our home in VA. He was able to obtain bond with a condition not to contact me. He immediately violated the condition and I obtained a protective order. He violated that also. He has been re-arrested and has been incarcerated since May 26th. I have realized that I love him and want him out, but his attorney can not get the Commonwealth to agree. The judge in JDR court has denied his bond and said that he can appeal that decision by the 9th. I can't seem to get anyone to listen that I made mistakes and so has he and we want to work our marriage out, but we can't do that if he is in jail. I need help to know who to contact. His attorney is trying to get another hearing for his bail. His trial (pre-trial?) isn't until 10 August. I need someone to help me explain what will happen on the 10th. Is there a chance to get him out. I understand that the prosecution's job is to keep him there, but I miss him and want him out. We both have made mistakes.

T

Tracey

How you feel about him is irrelevant. If the prosecutor decides to go ahead with the charges, the state will subpoena you, introduce your earlier statements, and get the conviction. There's nothing you can do to stop it. In fact, the State may not even need your testimony, if police have enough physical evidence & statements.

Frankly, I hope the state throws the book at him! He knew he wasn't supposed to break into your home while you were separated, but did it anyway because he thinks he can treat you any way he wants. The judge told him not to contact you after he was arraigned, but he ignored the judge & did it anyway. He knew he wasn't supposed to violate the protective order, but ignored it because no one can tell him he can't talk to his wife.

It is clear that this man feels no need to govern his behavior towards you, and that he won't face any real consequences for failing to do so. This is a classic abusive relationship. If it hasn't gotten physical yet, it will soon. (And we all know it's gotten physical, or you wouldn't have gotten that protective order.) I believe it is the State's duty to step in and make him face the consequences for his choices. It is the only way to show him & others that such behavior is unacceptable.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">