• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus not being processed due to company sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

What is the name of your state? NY

My husband's boss told him a few months ago that they were going to give him a raise and a reward / bonus because for several months each year for the past 3 years he has kept his Department going by himself. The company knew it was being bought but they didn't get the reward finalized prior to the official sale date. Now the new company is saying that he is not getting a bonus because that isn't a program they offer. I'm just wondering if it matters that the ball was started prior to the sale and therefore means that it still needs to be processed legally. I understand if it hadn't been in the works prior to the sale then there's definitely nothing that can be done about it. Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

My husband's boss told him a few months ago that they were going to give him a raise and a reward / bonus because for several months each year for the past 3 years he has kept his Department going by himself. The company knew it was being bought but they didn't get the reward finalized prior to the official sale date. Now the new company is saying that he is not getting a bonus because that isn't a program they offer. I'm just wondering if it matters that the ball was started prior to the sale and therefore means that it still needs to be processed legally. I understand if it hadn't been in the works prior to the sale then there's definitely nothing that can be done about it. Thank you.
There is probably nothing that can be done about it.

xylene

Your husband should begin discretely looking for a new job.

People often get let go after a company sale, and it is just about crystal clear that the new owners do not value him in the least.

Moving to a new job at this point would be a very good career move before he is let go or wastes more time with an employer who doesn't care about him.

adjusterjack

Agree with Xylene.

And there's good reason for him to start looking ASAP. New owner often clean house and he may end up with a lot of his co-workers competing with him for the same jobs.

Getting a jump on them would be to his advantage.

isis297

His department consists of two people at his level and then a manager and a project manager. The first three are the ones who keep the department running. That is why my husband has worked as hard as he has. Every year for the past 3 years they have replaced the person to his side and the manager pretty much at the same time which has resulted in him working 11-hour shifts 7 days a week for four or five months every year for the past three years. This is the third new owner. A company had just bought them right before my husband started 8 years ago and then they were bought by another company two years ago. If anything there's a chance the company will be losing their contract next summer so it is definitely time for us to start either looking for a new job or deciding to start a business of our own.

I just would have thought that something that was started under the old company would have to legally be finished under the new company no differently than my husband's benefits should not start over just because he is new to the parent company meaning he won't be starting over with only two weeks of vacation for example. He will keep the amount he has as somebody who has been employed with them for 8 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">