• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus Payment

• Thread starter John Smuckatelli
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Smuckatelli

In February,I received a bonus from the company that I work for.I thought it was a very generous amount,and decided to put it in an account,in case there was an error.After three months I spent a portion of the money.Now four months later I was informed that I was overpaid,and they want that amount paid back.Does this company have the right to inforce this???

A

Attorney_Replogle

Generally speaking, an overpayment on wages or bonuses does mean that the employee has to return the excess. Sorry! However, you might be able to get around this if your company's employee handbook or policy manual covers this matter.

Or, if you had no reasonable way to determine if you were overpaid in the bonus, then you can argue that there was no overpayment. How were you to know at that time or now? I hope this helps.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">