• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonuses payable after termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danher

What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently voluntarily terminated my employment on good terms. My record as an associate is very good. My final work day coincides with the end of quarter 3 of the company's fiscal year. I have an annual bonus payable on April 15 of the FOLLOWING year that includes 50% of the bonus in cash and the rest deferred over three years. ALL of the paperwork I have related to the bonus makes no mention of management discretion to alter the bonus at will, nor is there any mention of not paying the bonus if termination occurs. Can I collect 75% (3 quarters) of whatever bonus is applicable since the details of termination were not expressly part of the bonus agreement as I understand it?

pattytx

Unless the "paperwork" you describe rises to the level of a valid, enforceable contract that requires payment under the circumstances you describe, they probably don't have to pay you. However, you should take the paperwork to a local attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">