• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

book cover artwork possible copyright issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yellowbird75

I need to know if book cover art used by an Amazon Prime author infringes on my artwork of a book I published and which is registered with the Library of Congress, has an ISBN # and for which I own the copyright. I can upload images. They are Preview jpg. on my Mac. Both covers feature birds on barbed wire. I realize this is not unique in concept. But both books are about survival and mine was published 2000. My novel is also listed on Amazon as hardcover, softcover and e-book.

Last edited:

quincy

I need to know if book cover art used by an Amazon Prime author infringes on my artwork of a book I published and which is registered with the Library of Congress, has an ISBN # and for which I own the copyright. I can upload images.
We cannot do a side by side comparison for you, other than to give you an "ordinary observer" opinion.

What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

You will need to have yours' on a web server somewhere and use the little INSERT IMAGE button that is to the left of the smiley button.

And a link to the other book on Amazon.

quincy

And, again, please provide your state name, as a determination of copyright infringement often can depend on the circuit where the infringement case is heard.

FlyingRon

Note that "concepts" are not protected by copyright. Just because you drew a bird in barbed wire doesn't prohibit others from doing so. They need to have made a copy of your artistic expression. ISBN means squat, and registration only a bit more when it comes to such things.

quincy

There must be substantial similarity in the works and there also needs to be shown that the alleged infringer had access to the work by yellowbird.

I agree that "birds on a wire" is a concept that can be used by anyone. It will be the creative elements used by an artist to illustrate this concept that need to be analyzed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">