• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Book Publisher-breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kkkk

Hello,

My father has a book which was published in the U.K. (the company has distributors in US). Since his death in 1995 I have been responsible for corresponding with the publisher. They have only sent one check since then, in which I had to ask for. Friends have informed me that they ordered the book through the publisher's website and have not received the book, or been given any information why. The contract basically states that my father is the owner of the copyright and that "the publisher" .."approval of the author and royalties and commissions shall be calculatedat six monthly intervals each year commencing from the publication date and in each case payments shall be made within sixty days of the date at which such sums shall have been calculated" I have received only 2 breakdowns and 1 check. Since that one check I've gotten a sales breakdown, but no check. Both I had to fax and send letters to obtain. The sales breakdowns are not accurate, as several books were purchased and this was not reported to me. This has been going on since 1995. I would like the $6400.00 paid back to my mother and whatever copies of the book they have in stock. Does my mom have any rights to this? How do I go about geting the money back?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Fedup in Calif.

L

Lg2

Well, since it is a contract with a UK company, you may need someone experienced in Trade laws. www.attorneypages.com, where you should be able to find a lawyer to evaluate what rights you have. Since the publisher is sitting on its hands, it may have injured the value of the book further than 6400 dollars. By that i mean, by not fulfilling their end of the bargain, marketing and distributing, and of course paying what is owed, then that nbreach may be enough to seek more than 6400. remember, if you take the book to someone else, they will look at the slow sales as a definite negative

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">