• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borderless Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peter vdberg

I am European and live/work in Europe and my business is EU based. I am often paid in USD from clients aboard/US. I would like to use the borderless USD bank account from Transferwise who are UK based. However if you open a USD bank account with them it is held at a US bank in the US.

Would this mean I have to report anything to the IRS if using one of these accounts?

Thank you
Peter

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am European and live/work in Europe and my business is EU based. I am often paid in USD from clients aboard/US. I would like to use the borderless USD bank account from Transferwise who are UK based. However if you open a USD bank account with them it is held at a US bank in the US.

Would this mean I have to report anything to the IRS if using one of these accounts?

Thank you
Peter
For a nonresident alien of the U.S. interest on a bank account in the U.S. is not taxable income unless that account is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business. If you have a trade or business in the U.S. then you need to file and pay income tax for that income anyway so adding in that interest would not be a big deal. If you do not have a U.S. trade or business then the account won't be subject to tax, but you will still need to complete a document with the bank confirming that so that the bank knows what its obligations are. The bank will provide you with the necessary documents to complete when opening the account.

xylene

If this doesn't meet your needs, consider a EU based bank that has a USD denominated product.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">