• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borrowing against 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebigd

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My employer will not let me take a loan against nor take an early dispersement of my 401k. He says the only way I can get the money is quit my job. Can I use my vested amount for collateral for a personal loan from my bank?

pattytx

An employer's plan does not have to offer a loan provision. How would we know what your bank would accept as collateral? Take your most recent 401(K) statement to your bank and ask them.

efflandt

I doubt if a 401k could be used as collateral for a loan from a 3rd party since they would have no way to recover that money on default (exempt from bankruptcy). Your employer can at least deduct it from your paycheck. I know that it is illegal to use an IRA as collateral for a loan.

The employer typically sets any rules about borrowing from a 401k, and if you are no longer employed there, the loan becomes immediately due and payable (or would be considered a distribution with applicable tax/penalty). Even though the interest is paid to yourself, the entire loan is paid back with taxed dollars. For these reasons, borrowing from a 401k is a bad idea.

You could probably get a better interest rate elsewhere if it is for something with collateral, which may be tax deductable if used for your home (not deductable for any reason if borrowed from 401k).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">