• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borrowing money from a friend for building a home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmerr98277

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I would like to borrow money from a friend (either friend's cash or friend's line of credit) to build a home. I am a carpenter/general contractor and already own the land. Is there a way to do this (a legal contract) where the lender could secure the loan? Most banks require a contractor to have built at least 5 homes before they will lend money, which I have not. Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I would like to borrow money from a friend (either friend's cash or friend's line of credit) to build a home. I am a carpenter/general contractor and already own the land. Is there a way to do this (a legal contract) where the lender could secure the loan? Most banks require a contractor to have built at least 5 homes before they will lend money, which I have not. Thanks.
Consult with a real estate attorney.

Your request is beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum. Really.

adjusterjack

I would like to borrow money from a friend (either friend's cash or friend's line of credit) to build a home. I am a carpenter/general contractor and already own the land. Is there a way to do this (a legal contract) where the lender could secure the loan?
Yes.

In Washington you use a deed of trust.

Hire a lawyer to create and record the documents for you and your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">