• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bosch Dishwasher Fire - receiving compensation for loss not covered by insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomtwtwtw

State: Arizona

Hello,

We had a house fire last month in which the fire investigator was able to pin down our Bosch dishwasher as the culprit. We believe that the model# is part of their recall (which prior to our fire I was completely unaware of), however as far as I can all all model and serial number info was burned off in the fire. The dishwasher was purchased and installed by the previous owners of the home, and I am having trouble finding documentation to confirm the model was actually part of the recall. Regardless of that though, the source was still the dishwasher as per the investigation.

Naturally our homeowner's insurance will cover the bulk of the damage, and I know that our insurance has already hired an attorney to go over Bosch to cover their payout, but I'm still left with my $1000 deductible, $4000 in pet medical bills and the loss of one of our cats due to this fire. If anyone can point me in the right direction to hold Bosch accountable, or tell me if that is not a realistic scenario, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Tom

adjusterjack

The subrogation claim will be for the total "covered" claim including your deductible and if your insurance company get reimbursed you'll get your deductible back.

You would, of course, have a right to sue for your other damages but I doubt that you would be successful because you don't have the expertise or resources to go to trial on it.

The fire investigator may have been able to determine the source of the fire but you would need him to testify in court as to his findings of some product defect. Do you have a copy of his report? Can you get one?

You might try writing to the corporate executives of the manufacturer, provide a copy of the investigator's report and see if you can get some money that way. No guarantees there. You'll need the consent of your insurance company to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">