• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss gives me a letter to give to Dr. to sign off on to be able to come back to work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Santi296

What is the name of your state? MA
Employer typed up a letter for me to give to my Dr. to sign off (which I don't have health insurance a the moment, so no one will take me for weeks) on stating I'm fit for the job before I am able to return to work. Has anyone heard of this before?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's customary for it to be done the other way around; for the doctor to provide a letter that S/HE writes, rather than for the employer to provide a letter for the doctor to sign. If the doctor is willing to stand by what the employer put in the letter, though, I can't see that it makes a whole lot of difference.

Bali Hai Again

Employer typed up a letter for me to give to my Dr. to signed off (which I don't have health insurance a the moment, so no one will take me for weeks) on stating I'm fit for the job before I am able to return to work. Has anyone heard of this before?
You appear to indicate that your employer bears some responsibility for your lack of health insurance. You also indicate that your employer wants the doctor to clear you to return to work before you are medically cleared.

You are wrong on both assumptions.

PayrollHRGuy

Employer typed up a letter for me to give to my Dr. to sign off (which I don't have health insurance a the moment, so no one will take me for weeks) on stating I'm fit for the job before I am able to return to work. Has anyone heard of this before?
Very common. If your illness or injury rises to the level where the work you do for your employer could make the condition worse the employer would be negligent not to get such a letter.

Might I suggest an urgent care or other walk-in clinic?

adjusterjack

Is your medical condition work related or non-work related?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Doesn't really matter either way. The employer is entitled to confirmation that the employee is medically able to return to work. While it's a little unusual for the employer to be writing a letter for a doctor to sign, it's not a big deal either way and I can see advantages to doing it this way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">