• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss is withholding yearly raise because I never met with him to discuss it. Legal or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginaw2005

What is the name of your state? Ohio

At my employer we receive pay raises that kick in on January 1 of the new year. My boss makes it mandatory that we meet with him before then so that he can hand us the paper that has our new salary on it and give us his speech about how bad the year was, that we are lucky to get anything, etc. etc. and see the look of disappointment on our face. I haven't set up a time to meet with him yet and when I looked at my first paystub for 2019 I was paid the same as my last paystub of 2018. I questioned the person that does payroll and was told that my boss specifically told him to keep my salary the same since I didn't meet with him. Is this legal? He is doing it just to be petty and show who's in charge. We will eventually meet, but I was just curious if he's allowed to withhold a pay increase for no reason other than I didn't sit down with him and be handed a piece of paper with a number on it. He does not set the salaries, they are set by our Board, he just makes recommendations and then passes along what they decide.

Thank you for your time.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ohio

At my employer we receive pay raises that kick in on January 1 of the new year. My boss makes it mandatory that we meet with him before then so that he can hand us the paper that has our new salary on it and give us his speech about how bad the year was, that we are lucky to get anything, etc. etc. and see the look of disappointment on our face. I haven't set up a time to meet with him yet and when I looked at my first paystub for 2019 I was paid the same as my last paystub of 2018. I questioned the person that does payroll and was told that my boss specifically told him to keep my salary the same since I didn't meet with him. Is this legal? He is doing it just to be petty and show who's in charge. We will eventually meet, but I was just curious if he's allowed to withhold a pay increase for no reason other than I didn't sit down with him and be handed a piece of paper with a number on it. He does not set the salaries, they are set by our Board, he just makes recommendations and then passes along what they decide.

Thank you for your time.
Are you currently making at least min. wage per Ohio law? Yes? Then nothing in your post is illegal.

PayrollHRGuy

Unless you are working under a contract that requires you receive an annual raise, it is legal.

If there is no contract your employer to free to raise everyone's wage except yours as he sees fit. And if a meeting is required before the raise is granted that is certainly "fit".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are working under a contract that requires you receive an annual raise, it is legal.

If there is no contract your employer to free to raise everyone's wage except yours as he sees fit. And if a meeting is required before the raise is granted that is certainly "fit".
Even if you are working under a contract that requires you to get an annual raise, it's STILL legal unless that contract expressly states that the raise must start in the first pay period of the month.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is this legal? With the potential exceptions noted above, yes.

He is doing it just to be petty and show who's in charge. You mean, the way you decided you didn't want to meet with him because you didn't like the way he was going to manage the meeting?

We will eventually meet, but I was just curious if he's allowed to withhold a pay increase for no reason other than I didn't sit down with him and be handed a piece of paper with a number on it. Why yes, yes he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">