• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car with inheritance money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nalnk

What is the name of your state? State is PA

Asking for my brother, his wife monitors everything he does on the computer/phones, etc.

My brother just bought a 1970 muscle car that seems to be in very good shape and spent about $30,000 on it.
He unveils his purchase on Facebook and announces to everyone that he bought it. The caption on the picture is "Our new Ride" aka him and his wife.
The money used to buy this vehicle came from the sale of goods left to my brother from our dad. So, it is inheritance money that was used to buy the car.
The title is in his name. He is on disability (although not physically disabled - long story and it doesn't matter for this post) and his wife is the bread winner.
The question he is asking is does marital money being used for insurance, upkeep, repairs, etc. make it marital property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you delete your thread and then start a new one?

Does your brother intend to separate or divorce?

adjusterjack

The question he is asking is does marital money being used for insurance, upkeep, repairs, etc. make it marital property?
Using marital funds (his earnings are marital funds) for those expenses is likely to give his wife a marital interest in the value of the car.

In other words, if he filled the gas tank with his earnings and got divorced, she'd be entitled to $15,000.

nalnk

Why did you delete your thread and then start a new one?

Does your brother intend to separate or divorce?
Deleted in error which is why i re-posted.
It's not my brother who is planning on leaving. Based on actions, comments, etc. from the wife, the thought is there that she is waiting for the inheritance in full to come my brother's way. Since she is the one bringing home the money, which is what pays for insurance, repairs, upkeep, etc. the concern is there that she might make claims to the car if she decides to run.

nalnk

Using marital funds (his earnings are marital funds) for those expenses is likely to give his wife a marital interest in the value of the car.

In other words, if he filled the gas tank with his earnings and got divorced, she'd be entitled to $15,000.
My brother does not work anymore, he is on permanent disability. Correct me if i am wrong... I believe that disability insurance in the state of PA is not considered marital property so if he had done his homework, he should be using that money to carry the car.

Just Blue

Deleted in error which is why i re-posted.
It's not my brother who is planning on leaving. Based on actions, comments, etc. from the wife, the thought is there that she is waiting for the inheritance in full to come my brother's way. Since she is the one bringing home the money, which is what pays for insurance, repairs, upkeep, etc. the concern is there that she might make claims to the car if she decides to run.
One really can not delete a thread in error...there are too many steps to take. And as you have a history of deleting threads, I highly doubt you deleted your earlier thread in error.

nalnk

One really can not delete a thread in error...there are too many steps to take. And as you have a history of deleting threads, I highly doubt you deleted your earlier thread in error.
Jet Blue, I don't feel like i have to explain myself but I went thru my history of posts. It just so happened that there was a duplicate of this post and i deleted the first one. Apparently it deleted both, i realized that when I checked back for comments and it was gone. So, I re-posted the information as close as it was to the original post from my memory. On a serious note, i come here with legitimate questions and concerns. I just would like answers so that i can go back to my brother and let him know what others contributed.

Zigner

Jet Blue, I don't feel like i have to explain myself but I went thru my history of posts. It just so happened that there was a duplicate of this post and i deleted the first one. Apparently it deleted both, i realized that when I checked back for comments and it was gone. So, I re-posted the information as close as it was to the original post from my memory. On a serious note, i come here with legitimate questions and concerns. I just would like answers so that i can go back to my brother and let him know what others contributed.
Your brother really ought to be receiving advice from a local family law attorney, not from an ignorant sister (I am using that term as it is defined and NOT in a derogatory way) and a bunch of internet strangers. The best thing you could do would be to help him pay for that.

adjusterjack

There is no question that her contribution to the car can give her a marital interest that would entitle her to money that is the equivalent to her interest. In the event of a divorce the car may have to be sold in order to pay her.

My brother does not work anymore, he is on permanent disability. Correct me if i am wrong... I believe that disability insurance in the state of PA is not considered marital property so if he had done his homework, he should be using that money to carry the car.
I don't have an answer to that. Disability benefits are income for somethings and not for others.

Your brother should be talking to a divorce attorney if he suspects a divorce in his future.

nalnk

He won't talk to an attorney (calls will be questioned from itemized bills) and if he gets seen walking out of an office in town... they live in small town PA where everyone knows your name. So he comes to me. He has admitted that he paved the way for this potential disastrous outcome and is at her mercy right now. He does as she says and he can't do anything about it right now.

nalnk

You've been up in your brother's business with his wife for nearly 6 years now...

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/dont-know-where-this-question-belongs.611281/

Edit:
I'm sorry - nearly 8 years...
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/living-in-wifes-home.587366/
[/QUOTE

Why do you feel compelled to post this? My brother is in a bad situation and is stuck. He did this to himself and knows it. She used him and married him to get out of a hole and now my brother is reliant on her. He will be in good shape one day financially but isn't right now. He just makes uninformed decisions (see my explanation further down in this thread). He can't talk to me much in detail, we don't see each other because of distance but when he can sneak in a quick question on a phone call he does. I wish that my simple questions would just get simple answers without being criticized all the time. I can't write all of the details on a post because it's difficult. If my information is not clear, just ask without being judgmental... It's not that difficult to do that. People on the outside don't know all of the circumstances.

zddoodah

I disagree. The OP told us that his/her brother used inherited assets to buy the car, so the car is not marital property. Repairs and improvements might give the wife a marital interest. The rest of it? No. The notion that using marital funds to buy gas will automatically give the wife a 50% interest in the car is absurd. That said, the concept of a marital interest in non-marital asset is not the subject of statute in Pennsylvania, and I haven't read any PA case law.

To the OP: I take it your brother is thinking about divorce? If so, he needs to consult with a PA divorce attorney. One thing he should be aware of is that, in a PA divorce, the court divides marital assets in a manner that is deemed equitable based on numerous statutory factors. If your brother is unwilling to look into this, then this whole thread is rather pointless.

Zigner

I disagree. The OP told us that his/her brother used inherited assets to buy the car, so the car is not marital property. Repairs and improvements might give the wife a marital interest. The rest of it? No. The notion that using marital funds to buy gas will automatically give the wife a 50% interest in the car is absurd. That said, the concept of a marital interest in non-marital asset is not the subject of statute in Pennsylvania, and I haven't read any PA case law.

To the OP: I take it your brother is thinking about divorce? If so, he needs to consult with a PA divorce attorney. One thing he should be aware of is that, in a PA divorce, the court divides marital assets in a manner that is deemed equitable based on numerous statutory factors. If your brother is unwilling to look into this, then this whole thread is rather pointless.
I agree with everything you say. I suspect that the OP just doesn't like her sister-in-law. She's been on this forum for nearly 8 years with complaints about her...

Zigner

Why do you feel compelled to post this? My brother is in a bad situation and is stuck. He did this to himself and knows it. She used him and married him to get out of a hole and now my brother is reliant on her. He will be in good shape one day financially but isn't right now. He just makes uninformed decisions (see my explanation further down in this thread). He can't talk to me much in detail, we don't see each other because of distance but when he can sneak in a quick question on a phone call he does. I wish that my simple questions would just get simple answers without being criticized all the time. I can't write all of the details on a post because it's difficult. If my information is not clear, just ask without being judgmental... It's not that difficult to do that. People on the outside don't know all of the circumstances.
After 8 years of you posting about it...I simply don't buy the concerned-sister act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">