• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a commercial/residential building with people in it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GraystoneManor

What is the name of your state? michigan
I won a building on a bet the guy deeded it to me and old tennents are in it running a business how do I get them out?

PayrollHRGuy

The lease they have is now yours to deal with just like if you bought it. Welcome to the world of being a landlord.

adjusterjack

I won a building on a bet the guy deeded it to me and old tennents are in it running a business how do I get them out?
Answer this first.

Do they have a written lease with a specific expiration date in the future?

If yes, did you get a copy from the former owner or did the tenants present you with a copy?

In the absence of a lease then they are tenants at will and MI law requires that you give them one month written notice that tenancy is terminated. See the statute:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(nean2u30qdmpd3w5jfypyeqz))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-554-134

If they are not out by the deadline you evict through the courts.

If they do have a current lease than you are stuck with tenants until the lease expires.

justalayman

. Sure nice of the loser to keep his word even though he didn’t have to.

I’m curious as to whether there is a mortgage on the building. If there is, you need to be very concerned with the possibility an acceleration clause in the mortgage. If applicable, The lender could call the loan due and if not paid in full, could foreclose on the property.

I’m not sure what commercial/residential means so please clear that up.
Do the tenants live there or do they rent the area for commercial purposes? Very different laws apply to the different situations.

HRZ

Also note that you may be responsible for security deposit returns even if prior owner forgot to convey these accounts to you.

And your deed Is junior to any recorded liens or delinquent taxes .

As above, you will need to evict tenants by the appropriate due process steps ....and it's not clear if they are residential tenants or commercial tenants or some combination .

in some cases it is simpler and faster to simply do a cash for keys surrender...but be sure it is a written surrender of all rights of all tenants

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">