• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a house with a girl... Now we broke up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

In Colorado.

Girl and I were together for almost 5 years. She wanted to buy a house but her credit was crap so we used mine...

We broke up.

My name is the only name on EVERYTHING. Her name is listed no where.

She did a lot of cosmetic work on the house. Fixed some walls. Painted. Fixed up a bathroom...

This was all done before either of us moved in but before we broke up. We broke up and I told her not to move in or continue work on the house. She did both anyway.

She now refuses to leave the house. I never moved in and I really don't want to while she's there.

She is claiming to be half owner even though there is nothing with her name on it. She says I can buy her out for $20,000. She wants money for materials, time invested, and estimated added value..

She has paid for 2 months of "rent" (half mortgage payment) but she hasn't paid anything else. She says she's put over $5,000 of MONEY into the house but I know that isn't true...

I just want her to move out. I had offered her $3,500 to move but she refused and asked for $15k. Now it's 20... I want to sell the house and TRY to break even so I can get out from under it...

I know I shouldn't have done the deal without contracts in place... But hey, like a lot of the questions here... You only see the failures...

Thank you.

PayrollHRGuy

At best she is a tenant and you are going to have to evict her to get her out. Here's a link that should help you with that.

At worst she will counter sue for the value of what she spent and likely her time.

At best she is a tenant and you are going to have to evict her to get her out. Here's a link that should help you with that.

At worst she will counter sue for the value of what she spent and likely her time.
Is she entitled to any of that though? I mean, I could see materials.... But time? How do you put a value on that?

adjusterjack

She's "entitled" to anything she can squeeze out of you that makes her go away.

Here's a link to the CO eviction statute:

https://law.justia.com/codes/colorado/2017/title-13/forcible-entry-and-detainer/article-40/
You can get forms and instructions from your local court.

You might be wise to hire a lawyer to handle this for you and not be personally involved.

If she files for a restraining order she can get you put out of your own house.
She can't get me put out.... I never moved in. She's been there alone.

xylene

You might be wise to hire a lawyer to handle this for you and not be personally involved.

If she files for a restraining order she can get you put out of your own house.
While I strongly agree the OP needs a lawyer immediately, nothing the OP has suggested remotely suggests a restraining ordered is likely.

LdiJ

I would suggest that you get the house appraised. Then you will have at least an idea of whether you can sell the house for more than you paid for it. Once you know that, then you can consider/reconsider what you might reasonably give her...and will have an argument to make that you should give her nothing if the house is going to sell at a loss.

Litigator22

In Colorado.

Girl and I were together for almost 5 years. She wanted to buy a house but her credit was crap so we used mine...

We broke up.

My name is the only name on EVERYTHING. Her name is listed no where.

She did a lot of cosmetic work on the house. Fixed some walls. Painted. Fixed up a bathroom...

This was all done before either of us moved in but before we broke up. We broke up and I told her not to move in or continue work on the house. She did both anyway.

She now refuses to leave the house. I never moved in and I really don't want to while she's there.

She is claiming to be half owner even though there is nothing with her name on it. She says I can buy her out for $20,000. She wants money for materials, time invested, and estimated added value..

She has paid for 2 months of "rent" (half mortgage payment) but she hasn't paid anything else. She says she's put over $5,000 of MONEY into the house but I know that isn't true...

I just want her to move out. I had offered her $3,500 to move but she refused and asked for $15k. Now it's 20... I want to sell the house and TRY to break even so I can get out from under it...

I know I shouldn't have done the deal without contracts in place... But hey, like a lot of the questions here... You only see the failures...

Thank you.
Make up you mind, please!

First there is your caption leading us to think that you bought a house with a girl. But then we're told that you bought a house and the girl didn't buy a house because no lender would lend her the money to buy a house.

Lastly you complain because you didn't have contracts in place!? What contracts are you talking about?! As if we are to believe that you would have proposed, much less that she would have agreed to any contractual commitments waiving or denying her the fulfillment of her present demands?

Anyway, by allowing this now scorned female to occupy your property and perform the labor and furnish the materials mentioned you've placed yourself in a difficult legal position. My advice is not to intensify it by beseeching or imploring with her, but to cease all further communication and put the matter in the hands of your Colorado attorney.

At best all that is needed is an eviction process under Colorado's Forcible Entry and Unlawful Detainer statutes (CRS 13-40-101 et seq.) At worse defending an action for quantum meruit or unjust enrichment. And much worse her seeking the imposition of a constructive trust as an effort to avoid the impact of the statute of frauds.

At lease your carnal zest for this jezebel stopped short of outright deeding her an interest in the property. There is some consolation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">