• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a rainbow vacuum 2600$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beardedturkey

What is the name of your state? WI
So this salesman comes in and demos the rainbow and explains the program is sell 5 rainbows and you get it for free. I asked tons of questions and I felt very confident with the program. He said I could finance it and he advised me to pick the 48 month plan because I would be able to earn it for free. Each rainbow I sold with the sales person counted towards the 5 simple right? So I did 3 shows and no sales on the 4th show I made a sale but it never got counted as a point because it was special financed. I was bummed because I was told the salesperson was suppose to tell me that special financed sales don’t recieve a point towards the 5... so I did another demo of the rainbow and sold one but while at the house the sales person explained that the program is only 3 months and u have to sell 4 rainbows and the 5th one was on your own. I’ve had the rainbow for 3 weeks and just found out all this information I was left out now. I was lied to, I would of never got one if I knew that it was 3 months to sell 4 then one on your own and special financed sales don’t count.
There return policy is 3 days but this just seems legally wrong. What are my options?

quincy

So this salesman comes in and demos the rainbow and explains the program is sell 5 rainbows and you get it for free. I asked tons of questions and I felt very confident with the program. He said I could finance it and he advised me to pick the 48 month plan because I would be able to earn it for free. Each rainbow I sold with the sales person counted towards the 5 simple right? So I did 3 shows and no sales on the 4th show I made a sale but it never got counted as a point because it was special financed. I was bummed because I was told the salesperson was suppose to tell me that special financed sales don’t recieve a point towards the 5... so I did another demo of the rainbow and sold one but while at the house the sales person explained that the program is only 3 months and u have to sell 4 rainbows and the 5th one was on your own. I’ve had the rainbow for 3 weeks and just found out all this information I was left out now. I was lied to, I would of never got one if I knew that it was 3 months to sell 4 then one on your own and special financed sales don’t count.
There return policy is 3 days but this just seems legally wrong. What are my options?
I do not see that you have any legal recourse but you can speak to an attorney in your area for a personal review.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
My personal feeling is that if you didn't think it was a problem to pay $2600 for a vacuum cleaner then you probably deserved to get taken.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What are my options?
Federal law allows you a right to rescind a sale made in your home within three days of the sale. My guess is that if you had asked for all the details of the program you'd have gotten it (in dense small print) and seen how the program works. You got sucked into a multilevel marketing (MLM) scheme and even at their best MLM programs are not much better than a ponzi fraud scheme. You had to ask yourself this question: when many vaccums sell for $100 or less, how likely is it that you could get 5 people to fork out $2900 for one? Even the best home vaccums on the market are less than $1,000. So who is going to pay $2,900 for a machine when you can get a different make that will do the same or perhaps better job for much less? You should have done a little research during that 3 day window you had to rescind the sale and had you done that, I'll bet you'd have canceled the sale in the 3 days.

You can complain about the sale to Wisconsin Bureau of Consumer Protection and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Perhaps they'll be able to help you. Apart from that, you might be stuck. I think you got suckered in by a smooth talking sales person, but it may well be that the contract you have with the company is enforceable

quincy

Rexair (the manufacturer of Rainbow vacuums) has been sued previously over their vacuum sales but contracts between Rexair and the distributors who purchase the products from Rexair are written to insulate the company from lawsuits arising from distributor/franchisee sales programs and sales networks.

Any legal action considered would be against the particular distributor/franchisee located in Beardedturkey's area.

The distributor establishes a sales network through sales training programs and, like most sales marketing programs, the spiels tell stories of easy and rapid wealth.

I do not see that Beardedturkey has any legal recourse, any more than those who buy timeshares have legal recourse if they wait too long to cancel their contracts.

Although this sounds like a scam, I am afraid it is just an unfortunate but successful marketing plan.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">