• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a vehicle and get confirmation it's ready. Fly to LA then get stuck there because vehicle isn't ready and won't be for days.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleblanc17

I recently bought a van from Penske. I was told it was ready on 7/3/18. I paid / got the title released that day. With confirmation of the van being ready I purchased tickets and I flew down to pick up the van on 7/6/18. When I arrived I was told it wasn't ready and might be ready later that day or tomorrow. I then called corporate while being stuck for hours in 114 degree heat only to be told it won't be done this weekend. I now have incurred over $2k from being stuck in LA when I live in SF (lost wages, transportation, housing). Managers from Penske that I've spoken too will only reimbursed $500. I am hoping I can resolve it with them, but if I can’t how can I get my money lost dues to their breach in contract along with no notice of change in schedule?

Just Blue

I recently bought a van from Penske. I was told it was ready on 7/3/18. I paid / got the title released that day. With confirmation of the van being ready I purchased tickets and I flew down to pick up the van on 7/6/18. When I arrived I was told it wasn't ready and might be ready later that day or tomorrow. I then called corporate while being stuck for hours in 114 degree heat only to be told it won't be done this weekend. I now have incurred over $2k from being stuck in LA when I live in SF (lost wages, transportation, housing). Managers from Penske that I've spoken too will only reimbursed $500. I am hoping I can resolve it with them, but if I can’t how can I get my money lost dues to their breach in contract along with no notice of change in schedule?
Three words. Small Claims Court.

LdiJ

While I agree that 500.00 in compensation seems a bit low with your set of facts, 2k also seems ridiculously high with your set of facts as well.

justalayman

Well, you could have driven home on the 6th and been home that day (6 hour drive per google maps). Obviously you would have had to rent a car so add $100 for round trip.

Or you could ride greyhound for half that.

Toss in another $100 for gas and food.

Either way you would be home so no lost wages.

So your losses are $200. $500 sounds like a deal windfall

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are airline flights from LAX to SFO for under $100 - heck even same day it'd probably be in the $150 range. You did nothing to mitigate your damages. As was stated above, Penske has been very generous in offering you $500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">