• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought item, fell apart withing two months.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VHF1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I purchased an item for about $2000 online from a well known seller after alot of research.
Well it arrived with a small defect, and I contacted the seller. I had to wait for them to get in contact with the manufacturer.
Meanwhile the item started to further degrade.
Well now it is broken, not able to function, and the seller refused to issue me even a partial refund, blaming me for all the damage.
What are my options to even get a partial refund, if possible?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I purchased an item for about $2000 online from a well known seller after alot of research.
Well it arrived with a small defect, and I contacted the seller. I had to wait for them to get in contact with the manufacturer.
Meanwhile the item started to further degrade.
Well now it is broken, not able to function, and the seller refused to issue me even a partial refund, blaming me for all the damage.
What is the product and what is the defect? Is there a recall on the product?

adjusterjack

That depends.

Did the seller give you a warranty?
Did the seller have a return policy?

Online sellers rarely give more than 30 days for either so the seller probably doesn't owe you a dime.

If the item was new, you should be dealing direct with the manufacturer if, as I suspect, the return period, if any, has long expired.

If you bought the item used, you'll have to see if it's still in the warranty period, otherwise you are probably out of luck.

VHF1984

That depends.

Did the seller give you a warranty?
Did the seller have a return policy?

Online sellers rarely give more than 30 days for either so the seller probably doesn't owe you a dime.

If the item was new, you should be dealing direct with the manufacturer if, as I suspect, the return period, if any, has long expired.

If you bought the item used, you'll have to see if it's still in the warranty period, otherwise you are probably out of luck.
They have a guarantee on their site.
I don't know the return policy.
The manufacturer is in china.
And no, the item was new.

quincy

They have a guarantee on their site.
I don't know the return policy.
The manufacturer is in china.
And no, the item was new.
If you are reluctant to identify the product, could you please say what the defect in the product is? Thanks.

Last edited:
Whats my line

If you are reluctant to identify the product, could you please say what the defect in the product is? Thanks.
During usage, is the product inflated?
.._________________
~ Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted

quincy

During usage, is the product inflated?
.._________________
~ Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
I was thinking a counterfeit something but you might be on the right track. :D

Because I know VHF1984 read my question and chose not to answer it, I think he is going to have to speak to a lawyer in his area so he can divulge the details of his purchase without fear. I suspect, however, that he is stuck with his defective Chinese-made product.

VHF1984

I was thinking a counterfeit something but you might be on the right track. :D

Because I know VHF1984 read my question and chose not to answer it, I think he is going to have to speak to a lawyer in his area so he can divulge the details of his purchase without fear. I suspect, however, that he is stuck with his defective Chinese-made product.
I've spoken to both my card issuers and paypal. I'm not hopeful but I don't know what else to do, and a lawyer is most likely cost prohibitive.

quincy

I've spoken to both my card issuers and paypal. I'm not hopeful but I don't know what else to do, and a lawyer is most likely cost prohibitive.
Perhaps you can find an attorney in your area who will draft, for a small fee, a letter to the seller, demanding a refund or legal action will be considered. You can draft a similar letter yourself but it can be more effective coming from a lawyer. Lawyer-letters can be more intimidating, as the recipient realizes a lawsuit is a possibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">