• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought something on craigslist and has problems with it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsl922

What is the name of your state?

Ca

Hello, I was using craigslist and recently made a purchase of a used computer from someone. We were talking by texting and email, and he eventually decided to drive to my place so I could test it. He kept saying everything is fine and nothing is wrong, and pc was brand new parts. I buy the pc and find out there are numerous things wrong with the pc, and I feel like I been somewhat lied to and might of been a scam, or him just trying to get rid of the pc. I tried to contact him for a refund but no response. What can I do?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Ca

Hello, I was using craigslist and recently made a purchase of a used computer from someone. We were talking by texting and email, and he eventually decided to drive to my place so I could test it. He kept saying everything is fine and nothing is wrong, and pc was brand new parts. I buy the pc and find out there are numerous things wrong with the pc, and I feel like I been somewhat lied to and might of been a scam, or him just trying to get rid of the pc. I tried to contact him for a refund but no response. What can I do?
After the seller went to the trouble of driving the computer to your place so you could test it, didn't you test it?

If you saw the computer and tested the computer and then purchased the computer, I don't understand why you think you are due a refund on the used item.

jsl922

After the seller went to the trouble of driving the computer to your place so you could test it, didn't you test it?

If you saw the computer and tested the computer and then purchased the computer, I don't understand why you think you are due a refund on the used item.
I mean he wouldn't let me come to this place to test it. He refused, now I think of it, sounds fishy why he wouldn't give me his name and I couldn't come there. He came, and I booted the computer up, at first it didn't start and he got it going. From the outside and windows screen, looking at the specs, it seems fine, so I decided to pay him. He said that everything was fine and nothing was wrong it. After using it, it kept crashing and would not boot up at all. There were many problems, to even that I had to change the ram out because most likely it was faulty and kept crashing. There are other problems with this pc, it is slow. Isn't this deceptive advertising? I even told him that I been scammed, and he sat there like wow. I told him I requested a refund, and he has not messaged me since. When I meant crashing and freezing before I took out the ram, it was to the point, where it couldn't be used, everytime, I would log in, pc would freeze and I would have to reset, and this kept going on and on.

Dandy Don

You have learned your lesson that everyone who is selling things on that website is not honest or trustworthy.

How much money did you lose? You could file a small claims court case against him but you lack the evidence to actually prove that he was the party that you dealt with and you have no receipt from your purchase.

New computers are relatively inexpensive these days. Spend the $500 or less to get a great computer from a retailer or from a pawn shop.

quincy

I mean he wouldn't let me come to this place to test it. He refused, now I think of it, sounds fishy why he wouldn't give me his name and I couldn't come there. He came, and I booted the computer up, at first it didn't start and he got it going. From the outside and windows screen, looking at the specs, it seems fine, so I decided to pay him. He said that everything was fine and nothing was wrong it. After using it, it kept crashing and would not boot up at all. There were many problems, to even that I had to change the ram out because most likely it was faulty and kept crashing. There are other problems with this pc, it is slow. Isn't this deceptive advertising? I even told him that I been scammed, and he sat there like wow. I told him I requested a refund, and he has not messaged me since. When I meant crashing and freezing before I took out the ram, it was to the point, where it couldn't be used, everytime, I would log in, pc would freeze and I would have to reset, and this kept going on and on.
Used items are (generally) sold as-is and it is up to the purchaser to inspect the item prior to purchase. You did that. You made the decision to buy the computer after inspection.

I do not see that you have any legal action to pursue. Sorry.

adjusterjack

I mean he wouldn't let me come to this place to test it. He refused, now I think of it, sounds fishy why he wouldn't give me his name and I couldn't come there.
That, alone, would have screamed scam to me.

Hope you didn't spend too much on it.

ajkroy

Agree with PayrollGuy about meeting. Meet in a public place (a Starbucks would have been ideal for that), and the lack of transparency of where the seller lives doesn't indicate they are fraudulent.

I would have thought that any kind of purchase like that would be "as is".

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You bought it, you own it. Now, it's up to you to either have an expensive boat anchor or a usable PC.

Just Blue

Curious...How much did you pay for it? What kind of computer is it?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You had plenty of opportunity to see if had any problems. I wouldn't have invited you over my house either if I was selling it. That's called being safe, not a scam.

Sounds like you already replaced the memory. That shouldn't have cost too much. Even if you have to replace the hard drive - they're really cheap too.

jsl922

Used items are (generally) sold as-is and it is up to the purchaser to inspect the item prior to purchase. You did that. You made the decision to buy the computer after inspection.

I do not see that you have any legal action to pursue. Sorry.
He also lied to me saying everything was fine and working. In the ad and in our text. Isn't this something I can try to sue for and recover after being scammed?

jsl922

In other words, you KNEW it had problems.
no I didn't know it had problems. That was just one minor problem, until I was using it after he left. There was so many problems, he told me it was fine. Half the hardware components don't seem to work right.

jsl922

You had plenty of opportunity to see if had any problems. I wouldn't have invited you over my house either if I was selling it. That's called being safe, not a scam.

Sounds like you already replaced the memory. That shouldn't have cost too much. Even if you have to replace the hard drive - they're really cheap too.
I replaced the memory from my previous computer that I intend to sell. This only fixed the crashing part after researching online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">