• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bounced check for down payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheltojn5

Tennessee
I purchased a car and the down payment check bounced. i have messages from the sales guy telling me that they will hold it for 2 days before depositing. unfortunately the funds did not go through and i am still fighting the bank on that. the finance company has funded the loan and i have received payment books. the car lot is telling me that i have to either bring the car back or the cash. if i bring the car back they are saying they will still turn over the back check. what are my options on all this and how much is true?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tennessee
I purchased a car and the down payment check bounced. i have messages from the sales guy telling me that they will hold it for 2 days before depositing. unfortunately the funds did not go through and i am still fighting the bank on that. the finance company has funded the loan and i have received payment books. the car lot is telling me that i have to either bring the car back or the cash. if i bring the car back they are saying they will still turn over the back check. what are my options on all this and how much is true?
Huh? Take the cash to the dealer and pay them, in exchange for returning the paper check. You should take a little extra to cover the expenses incurred.

sheltojn5

Huh? Take the cash to the dealer and pay them, in exchange for returning the paper check. You should take a little extra to cover the expenses incurred.
Yes i intend to do that, however they agreed to hold the check knowing the funds was not there yet. Now they are telling me to bring the car back or the cash and either way they are still going to turn the check over

PayrollHRGuy

I'm betting you misunderstood them. If you take the cash in a timely manner you have a defense to any Hot Check criminal charge. I'll bet you won't leave without your car and your check.

sheltojn5

I'm betting you misunderstood them. If you take the cash in a timely manner you have a defense to any Hot Check criminal charge. I'll bet you won't leave without your car and your check.
I am fighting with the bank to release the funds they are on hold cause the funds was from out of state. The lot is telling me that if i bring the car back they will still turn the check over. I am trying to get the bank manager to explain why this has taken so long and get no answer. I do not see how the lot can turn my check over if i bring the car back. I know this is really confusing try being in my shoes and trying to get all this figured out.

Eekamouse

Tennessee
You knew the money wasn't available to you yet but you wrote a check anyway? That was stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">