• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend injured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sixtos

What is the name of your state? California

This involves my daughter (19). She was babysitting (her job) for a lady that rents this house. Daughter's boyfriend was there helping (triplet toddlers). My daughter negleted to remove a pan of oil on the stove when she went to check on the children. Boyfriend notices the pan smoking in the kitchen and goes to handle it. He picks up the pan and the pan ignites to fire. Instead of taking off the fire and smothering it. He walks around with quickly to the side door. My daughter opens the door for him and holds the blinds aside when the baby comes running. She drops the blinds and tends to the baby so she won't get hurt running under his hands or something. The blinds swing back and the hot grease splashes onto his hands. He gets the pan outside and drops it on patio - splashes on hand again.

His hand is in pretty bad shape and the abulance took him to Kaiser. I guess his insurance doesn't want to pay the Kaiser bill because it wasn't Kaiser insurance. Also, the doctors say he's going to need extensive surgury (more then one). The problem is his insurance will be cut off in about 6 months (from his parents ins). They are worried about the bills after that. They want to sue the tenant (daughter's employer).

My daughter is devistated. First of all it's because of her neglect this happened. She told her boyfriend he can't sue the lady because it's not her fault.

My question is, wouldn't the homeowner's insurance cover this?

A

ahmajokester

I am not an expert by any means. I am currently taking an Insurance course in college and we have just gone over Homeowners Insurance anf I noticed you hadn't received any responses, so I thought I'd chime in.

This situation should be covered under Section II of their HO policy. There is 2 coverages of Section II -- Personal Liability and Medical Payments to others. Personal Liability covers up to $100,000 (for bodily injury or propertyy damage), BUT is based on negligence of the insured. I don't believe that your daughter (an employee of the insured) qualifies as an insured and I don't think the actual homeowners would be considered negligent here. So I think you would have a tough time collecting under this part. BUT the Medical Payments to Others Coverage is NOT based on negligence. You should be able to get payment here -- but the limit here is $1,000 -- likely not enough to cover multiple surgerys.

I feel bad for you and your daughter and I hope this information helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">