• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend (now ex) ran up my credit cards, promising to pay me back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyBonJovi

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
Hi, My boyfriend (now ex)/ fiance of four years ran up about $20,000 on my credit cards. He has terrible credit, I had great credit. I trusted him and believed him when he said he would pay me back in full. He had been paying, even after the breakup. Now... it looks like I might not see anymore. I also co-signed a $25,000 car for him, but thats another story. Here are my questions:
1. If by some miracle I get him to sign a promissary note indicating his debt, is there anything he can do to get out of it once signed?
2. Is there anything else I can do to collect?
3. His name is on our lease until next year. Because his name is on the lease, is he not responsible for paying the rent as I am? He has moved out, I'm still here looking for a cheap rent somewhere.

Thank you to anyone who responds and also believe me when I say I have learned my lesson.

D

dadrummer

I can't be of much help on #'s 1 and 2 but on #3, yes, he is still liable for the remainder of the lease. If you are forced to move to find cheaper rent your present landlord will first go after whomever is easiest to sue. If it is you and you are forced to pay whatever the lease stipulates then you can go after him, probably in small claims court, for his share of the lease default. Or, if the landlord determines he is easiest to sue, for whatever reason then the same would apply to you. Management companies very seldom sue all parties on the lease. As a rule, they decide which lessee would afford them the best opportunity to collect their money. Rememeber, it cost money to sue someone. On the surface it appears you would be the most likely person the lessor would go after because you obviously have the most to lose (good credit standing) and because you are the one that is still in the apartment. At this point they could care less where he is as long as the rent gets paid.
One more thing. $20,000 is alot of credit card debt not to mention the automobile. It could very well come down to you considering bankruptcy, although I very seldom recommend it. But it will literally take you years to pay off that much credit card debt at credit card interest rates.
OK, remember what you said!! You have learned your lesson, right?? Good luck!!

HollyBonJovi

Thanks dadrummer, any information helps. I would defintily be the easier one to sue. But, I will stay here as long as I can while I search for a place and hopefully they will take into considreration my consistantly on time rent payments and my very few requests. Actually, the jerk, whoops, party in question called me today in good spirits. After some sucking up... I asked about the promisory note. He said no problem and will meet me at AAA to have it notorized. Hopfully he wasn't drunk or high during the conversation :D Anyway, to reiterate, yes I certainly learned my lesson. I keep telling myself that, trying to turn any part of this into a positive situation. Again, thank you for taking time out to respond to my message, I really appreciate your thoughts. -holly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">