• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend wanting to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lc2000

My daughter is going on 2 in March. Her biological father hasn't had anything to do with her since she was 2 months old. He didn't even put his name on her birth certificate. My boyfriend and I got together when she was 3 months old. He has been there for her through everything and she calls him daddy. We are planning on getting married when we can afford to but he wants to adopt her now. I was wondering if he can do that even though we are not married yet. As far as getting permission from her biological father, his name isn't on her birth certificate and he hasn't seen or spoken to her since she was 2 months old. If this is possible how would we go about doing this. I almost forgot I live in Indianapolis, In. Thank You.

LegalBeagle

lc2000 said:
My daughter is going on 2 in March. Her biological father hasn't had anything to do with her since she was 2 months old. He didn't even put his name on her birth certificate. My boyfriend and I got together when she was 3 months old. He has been there for her through everything and she calls him daddy. We are planning on getting married when we can afford to but he wants to adopt her now. I was wondering if he can do that even though we are not married yet. As far as getting permission from her biological father, his name isn't on her birth certificate and he hasn't seen or spoken to her since she was 2 months old. If this is possible how would we go about doing this. I almost forgot I live in Indianapolis, In. Thank You.
You get an attorney is the easy answer. Personally, you should wait until you are married.

katbird

I am in a similar situation and my boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter from a previous relationship. I contacted an attorney and he told me that if my boyfriend was to adopt my daughter before marriage it would not only terminate her father's rights but mine also as we aren't legally married yet. I would no longer be considered her mother and my boyfriend would be her only parent so wait until aftert the marriage to be on the safe side, always call an attorney for advice in your state as the laws could differ.
mom to 5 kids:)

LegalBeagle

katbird said:
I am in a similar situation and my boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter from a previous relationship. I contacted an attorney and he told me that if my boyfriend was to adopt my daughter before marriage it would not only terminate her father's rights but mine also as we aren't legally married yet. I would no longer be considered her mother and my boyfriend would be her only parent so wait until aftert the marriage to be on the safe side, always call an attorney for advice in your state as the laws could differ.
hahaha... Too funny!

Either,
a) you gave the attorney the wrong information
b) you mis-understood
c) your attorney is fresh out of high school

MySonsMom

katbird said:
This is so wrong it's pathetic. Whoever told you this is full of crap.

T

TimC

A justice of the peace charges something like $25 to wed a couple. If you ask nicely, maybe some of them will even take a payment plan. However, if you cannot afford the $25 needed to get married, then I have a hunch that you cannot afford the adoption process either.

katbird

reply to adoption

Thanks for the advice much appreciated.
mom to 5 kids

[Edited by katbird on 12-30-2000 at 12:27 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">