• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfrind/Girlfriend Split-up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hi, thanks for looking. OK...my boyfriend and I are headed for a breakup. I moved to be with him, and we rented the house together, although I was not in town when the lease had to be signed and HIS name is the only name on lease. I get all my mail here, including Social Security Survivor benefits check. The electric, water, cable is in MY name. I do not want the house, but I will need sufficent time to find another house. I have a 7 year old daughter too. Can he force me out of the house at any given time? He says he can...I am not sure. Please..any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hi, thanks for looking. OK...my boyfriend and I are headed for a breakup. I moved to be with him, and we rented the house together, although I was not in town when the lease had to be signed and HIS name is the only name on lease. I get all my mail here, including Social Security Survivor benefits check. The electric, water, cable is in MY name. I do not want the house, but I will need sufficent time to find another house. I have a 7 year old daughter too. Can he force me out of the house at any given time? He says he can...I am not sure. Please..any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
He will have to follow your state's landlord/tenant laws. Generally you'd have 30 days (minimum) to 60 days (maximum) to leave once you are given notice.

Who's Liable?

Your BF is your LL, and thus cannot forcibly evict you. As stated before he will need to PROPERLY give you notice to vacate along with the allotted amount of time as required per your states LL/T laws.

He CANNOT change the locks and lock you out, if he does, you can call the police or a locksmith and gain entry. You can also sue him for an illegal lockout/eviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">