• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BP and others guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

That rig was inspected 10 days before the accident. The government passed it. They also gave BP exemptions on other inspections. This could have been due to the large amount of money they donated to President Obama's campaign. The government is to blame! Since we elected them, that makes us to blame! If BP was acting within the laws and guidelines set by our leaders then they should be responsible for the damage they caused only!
kind of hard to inspect a blow out preventer a mile under the water that they had screwed with so it didn't work. That is the main cause of all of the problems. If the blow out preventer worked, we would not have any of these problems.

JustAPal00

kind of hard to inspect a blow out preventer a mile under the water that they had screwed with so it didn't work. That is the main cause of all of the problems. If the blow out preventer worked, we would not have any of these problems.
It was poorly designed without redundent systems like an aircraft. I've seen nothing about them rigging it not to work. The Fed approves all plans and designs. They also approve all equipment used, so they approved it. There may be ways to run tests from the surface or to examine it with robots, I'm not sure. We as a people have forced them to drill in water that's a mile deep, we are the ones using oil like there is no end, this is the price we must pay. As I stated before, if BP did nothing that was illegal, they should be responsible for the clean up but nothing else. Anything else they decide to do would be from a public relations standpoint. This would be like missing a sales meeting because of a traffic accident on the way and suing the person responsible for the wreck for the value of the lost sale.

tranquility

I'm a smart guy. (A legend in my own mind.) I've read a lot on this issue and what has happened as it seems up with the greatest insults humans have imposed on the Earth. I even had some science classes in college! (Let's talk string theory sometime.) Yet, the issues involved are so beyond my understanding that I can't really express an opinion . BP was doing magic stuff. Going to the moon, sap tumors in the brain from different angles without hurting surrounding tissue, magic things. Good luck on determining if there was a problem or not.

However, unlike the Challenger commission where really smart people who know things were on the commission on what went wrong, the current commission is different as there is a minority of people who know and do things and a majority of people who believe things.

Let me grab a moment from my glimpse of the FA crystal ball which I saw in my visions when challenged by others. This commission will determine that such drilling is always a problem and we should never do it. They will also determine drilling closer to land should continue to be prohibited for some reason. Finally, it will all be our fault and that we should limit our addiction to oil.

So it has been visioned. So it will be done.

(Didn't need any science or anything. Just a knowledge of politics and a certain cynicism of the current administration.)

atomizer

1. Congress no longer responds to the will of the people.

2. Judges take it upon themselves not to interpret the constitution, and our laws, but to make their own laws.

3. Politicians tell us what we want to hear and then do as they please once they get into office.

4. When the Supreme Court is stacked with unqualified individuals, we the people are without representation.

You really can't blame the people on this one. This is an accident that politicians are trying to maximize for their political agenda, That being Cap and Trade, and possibly total control over the oil industry.

justalayman

tranquility;2593013]I'm a smart guy. (A legend in my own mind.) I've read a lot on this issue and what has happened as it seems up with the greatest insults humans have imposed on the Earth.
Not hardly. It is great and severe but there are many other events as or more egregious as this one. Just the amount of crap we pump into the waterways of the world continually exceeds the oil spill in overall impact from what I can see. Once this settles down, the impact will be largely aesthetic or affecting mainly the tourist industry of the affected states. The overall environmental impact will pass. The Earth is durable. It is we that are so fragile.

I even had some science classes in college! (Let's talk string theory sometime.)
I ascribe to the Silly String theory. Not quite as high strung as the more basic String theorists.

Yet, the issues involved are so beyond my understanding that I can't really express an opinion . BP was doing magic stuff. Going to the moon, sap tumors in the brain from different angles without hurting surrounding tissue, magic things. Good luck on determining if there was a problem or not.
there were problems, many already admitted. As I stated previously, the blow out preventer has already been reported to being made effectively non-functional due to BP. The sole purpose of the blow out preventer is to crimp the drill pipe if there is a situation where there would be a massive leak (like we currently have). Part of the problem is reported that BP did something to the preventer that made it ineffective plus there is debate as to a preventer even being effective for what it is designed to do. It's not something that gets tested in a real life scenario.

If that one device worked as designed and planned, there basically would be no leak yet here we are with who knows how many barrels of oil continually spewing from the well.

there are also reports of faulty mudding or cementing of the well casing. This is reported to have caused problems as well.

Let me grab a moment from my glimpse of the FA crystal ball which I saw in my visions when challenged by others. This commission will determine that such drilling is always a problem and we should never do it. They will also determine drilling closer to land should continue to be prohibited for some reason. Finally, it will all be our fault and that we should limit our addiction to oil.

So it has been visioned. So it will be done.

(Didn't need any science or anything. Just a knowledge of politics and a certain cynicism of the current administration.)
that has been argued for by the environmentalists for years, unsuccessfully.

What I would like to see is all of the environmentalists that bitch about the problems involved with oil production stop using oil and the products derived from it. Maybe if those people would stop using oil, the rest of us would be able to get by on American oil rather than having to buy the greater percentage of our oil from politically unstable countries.

Oil will not go away. Our infrastructure is too dependent on oil. It will not become a thing of the past until we have a replacement. We will not develop a replacement until it is either used up or so prohibitively expensive to acquire that the replacement will be less expensive.

As it stands, we are decades from having a practical replacement; Possibly many decades. It is a catch 22: As long as we have oil as a relatively inexpensive means of producing energy and the thousands of materials that are derived from crude oil, we will not adequately fund the research needed to replace oil. Until we fund research for alternate sources of energy and materials (a hugely ignored aspect of the oil industry when speaking of replacing oil), we will be relegated to being dependent on crude oil.

and always remember: those oh so smart people putting people and craft on the moon and other planets made a simple error of not converting metric measurements to US standard measurements and as such, crashed a vehicle into Mars. Millions of dollars down the drain.

Last edited:

tranquility

And yet, I have predicted the result. There will be many millions of dollars spent to put more "facts" behind the eventual report. But, the results will be as I have said.

Also, there is a broad difference between not eating any vegetables and stabbing yourself in your leg with a pen. Both are bad. One takes a long time to show the damages and the other is more immediate. They are of a different sort of hurt.

perthelizabeth

I am sure there will be, no matter what we think, and yes I do think such investigations are a good idea.
If they are found guilty of violation of some law, they certainly should be fined and/or jailed.

But in the end industrial accidents like this happen and I think there is a reasonable chance no one is guilty of a crime. It will be easy once we understand what happened to Monday morning quarterback the thing and point out what should have been done, but no engineering venture is without risk and if we want to live in an industrialized world we have to accept risks like this. I am more concerned that we learn from this and reduce the chances it will happen again, and improve our technology to fix it if it does.
I am agree with that investigation. They must be punished.

cyjeff

I do a bit of work with the convenience store industry.

I urge you to NOT boycott the small business people that are dying as they are taking the pointed end of the boycott stick.

I agree... hurt BP. Do not buy GASOLINE there. Instead, buy your other goods there and ignore the pumps.

THAT would send a message to BP corporate... because THAT is where they make their money but the c-store owners make nothing.

Buy a coke from a BP...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">