• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

braces

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommyto 2

What is the name of your state?nj
When a child is getting braces and the expenses are to be split (as per court order after a $250.00 out of pocket medical expenses are paid by me, cp) does the cp pay the doctor first and then wait for ncp to pay them back. Or, can each parent pay the doctor directly and cosign (if doctor agrees) the payment plan. I do not want to be held responsible for ncp payments. The court order only states the ncp will pay half of all out of pocket medical expenses after the first $250.00. It does not state if this is to be done yearly or as expenses occur.

I think I explained this correctly. I will give more info. if needed.
Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's between you and the other parent (because it's not addressed in your CO). Generally, you'd pay and then get reimbursed, but if you can work something out with the ex, all the better!

What is the name of your state?nj
When a child is getting braces and the expenses are to be split (as per court order after a $250.00 out of pocket medical expenses are paid by me, cp) does the cp pay the doctor first and then wait for ncp to pay them back. Or, can each parent pay the doctor directly and cosign (if doctor agrees) the payment plan. I do not want to be held responsible for ncp payments. The court order only states the ncp will pay half of all out of pocket medical expenses after the first $250.00. It does not state if this is to be done yearly or as expenses occur.

I think I explained this correctly. I will give more info. if needed.
Thanks for your help.
If the CO doesn't say then it is upto you and the ncp to work out. I always give dad copies of the receipts as the bills occur and he reimburses me after each expense. He appreciates that instead of giving him a huge bill at the end of the year. This is also helpful to us in case dad has any questions.

I guess you could each finance your own part of the bill if the doctor's office will agree to it. If you know that you are responsible for $1250, and the ncp knows they are responsible for $1000 you could each set up your own payment plan. I wouldn't enter into any financial agreement or contract agreeing to pay for something with the ncp.

mommyto 2

Thanks, I am concerned because of the very large expense. Ex also takes me back to court on a regular basis or has an attorney always involved in one thing or another requiring me to keep my attorney on retainer (which needs constant money added). This will be yet another large expense that I simply cannot pay for on my own, or in other words "front" his share. He also takes his time in repayment or takes months of him questioning me through emails how much he really owes. I just wanted to pay my half directly tothe doctor and for him to pay his half directly to the doctor. I am concerned on how to handle this situation and wanted input here before having to get my attorney involved. I needed some ideas as to where I stood.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The biggest problem with your plan will be the dentist office. As a business, they probably won't want to enter in to two separate financing agreements. You COULD enter in to one agreement with both of you signing, but that still leaves you responsible if he doesn't follow the rules.

I had to sign the financial responsibility at ortho, but Dad and I each pay half each month directly to the doctor, that way we don't have to deal with each other. The doctor wants to be able to go after SOMEONE, though, so often they'll assign that to one person. Call your ortho...they most likely have dealt with this before, mine had a ready answer when I asked them.

mommyto 2

Your right Zigner, but I was thinking that at least if we cosigned and he did not pay his portion, in court I could show receipts of my payments and the cosigned agreement would be proof that he did agree to pay half. Make sense legally???

mommyto 2

okay spoke with doctor's office and got some good info. Yes she will take two separate payments (one from each parent), there can only be one contract but both parents can sign. If he does not pay his half doctor goes after the cp (me) but at least in a family court I could show he stated he would be responsible. Does this sound correct? I don't want to sound petty but the braces are going to cost over $6,000.00 during at least a two year time frame. My insurance will cover some, that amount will be taken off the top, but it is still a huge expense for me to do on my own.

Mommy711

okay spoke with doctor's office and got some good info. Yes she will take two separate payments (one from each parent), there can only be one contract but both parents can sign. If he does not pay his half doctor goes after the cp (me) but at least in a family court I could show he stated he would be responsible. Does this sound correct? I don't want to sound petty but the braces are going to cost over $6,000.00 during at least a two year time frame. My insurance will cover some, that amount will be taken off the top, but it is still a huge expense for me to do on my own.
Is there an option of financing your half thru a company such as Care Credit? Then the NCP could make his own arrangements or sign his own contract with the doctor's office regarding the remaining part of the expense. What about emergency expenses/visits? Is the replacement of broken wires, etc. part of the plan?

suenoloco

I have a question along these lines. To me braces are cosmetic. I look at my daughters teeth and they look great. It seems kind of strange to me that I have NEVER heard of a kid who went to an ortho that the ortho said..."This kid doesnt need braces"....if you take them in,,,theyre getting braces!!! I have joint legal custody of my daughters but was never involved in the decision to get braces. Am I legally responsible for half. My Divorce Order say we split medical.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have a question along these lines. To me braces are cosmetic. I look at my daughters teeth and they look great. It seems kind of strange to me that I have NEVER heard of a kid who went to an ortho that the ortho said..."This kid doesnt need braces"....if you take them in,,,theyre getting braces!!! I have joint legal custody of my daughters but was never involved in the decision to get braces. Am I legally responsible for half. My Divorce Order say we split medical.
Don't hijack. Get your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">