• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brand new car totaled only two days old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

There's a lot of variation in the TERRAIN line (several trim levels, AWD vs. FWD). Hopefully, he's using an actual valuation and not a dealer asking price value.

adjusterjack

150% of the nada value which is $28,895 so by my calculations that’s $43,000 and the amount I financed is only 35,000
When comparing NADA to Edmunds and KBB I have found NADA to be overpriced. Be that as it may, the insurance industry uses CCC for vehicle ACV evaluations. CCC has pretty much become the insurance industry standard.

Saleliz

The vehicle is two days old less than 200 miles on it and the paperwork says the nada value is 28,895 I know that vehicles depreciate the moment you drive off the lot but even so if I calculated the 150% limit of the gap with that and it wasn’t over what I financed I figured surely the actual cash value of the vehicle now would be with in range as well.

adjusterjack

The vehicle is two days old less than 200 miles on it and the paperwork says the nada value is 28,895 I know that vehicles depreciate the moment you drive off the lot but even so if I calculated the 150% limit of the gap with that and it wasn’t over what I financed I figured surely the actual cash value of the vehicle now would be with in range as well.
Then all you can do is wait for the decision of the other driver's insurance and make the claim on the GAP policy.

Caution, the policy probably requires you to report the accident to the GAP insurer. Find that in the policy and comply with it even if you end up not making the claim.

justalayman

Given the constant mention of the loan being only 2 days old, I wonder if the car was actually wrecked before the loan and associated GAP insurance was issued and the op is afraid that will be discovered and payment be denied due to that. If it isn’t that, it’s as simple as the GAP insurance will pay as the contract demands. Unless the GAP insurance has some delayed activation clause, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months; its immaterial

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unless the GAP insurance has some delayed activation clause, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months ...
That's a very good point. The OP should read his contract. As I said above, while it may take a few days for the policy to show up in the system, it will be valid retroactively to the day it was purchased, barring any delayed activation clause (as you pointed out.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">