• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract and fiduciary duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rbates74

Two years ago I signed a deal to buy out my competitor. the terms of the deal were essentially;
I would close my store and encourage my customers to go to the other store.
I would help with day to day operations if need be..
the purchase price was to be the remaining balance on the business loan at the end of two years.
that the prior owner would be paid to manage effectively and insure growth.
at the end of the two years I would obtain financing.

The deal went sour almost immediately, they would lock me out while they closed the store to go to the bank. They jacked up the prices and alienated customers. they refused to stock enough product, they refused to do maintenance or repairs.

Last year there was a verbal agreement that if I started putting money in to fix things that I would be given more control. after I spent almost 20 grand they reneged.

to top it all off they did not keep proper accounts/books and the tax return they provided me with was at the very least suspicious. In addition they did not keep up on the taxes, they are in default on the payments and had debts that they did not disclose prior to the contract.

No bank in the world will finance this mess. so I asked them to negotiate a new deal to avoid going to court. Their plan was that I should give them $25,000 more and then they would let me run it in their name, This did not seem a good plan to me and I refused because if they didn't keep their word I would be out another $25k.

I closed down my store, bringing its value from 250k for an operating business down to about 140k for real estate and licenses. I brought them inventory and equipment totaling $10,000, I bought new (used) equipment with a value of $15000 I spent hundreds of hours cleaning re[airing and building custom fixtures.

My estimate is close to $140,000 for my total losses.

My position is that given my investment they had a fiduciary duty to manage well and to pay the loan and taxes. they deny all responsibility.

I also argue that my help "as needed" was in fact needed and that refusing my help while bleeding financially, losing customers and failing to get orders in on time was a breach of contract. Their answer is to simply state that they did not need help.

Further i claim that Any reasonable person would know and would be expecting that a store maintain its hours and inventory to remove mold infestations keep the grass mowed, pull the weeds growing up the sides of the building, to have the snow plowed to make needed repairs ect. their position is that the contract did not specifically require them to do so.

I am out of work due to an injury and with my business closed I have no income and I have to precede Pro Se. so any help would be apreciated,

quincy

You should have your contract personally reviewed by an attorney in your area.

My first impression is that the agreement you made with your competitor was a poorly thought out one. I don't quite understand what made you form it.

Rbates74

Well. a lot of things led me to the point of the contract, very clearly it was poorly thought out. However I believe the intent of the document is clear. I have had the contract reviewed and rapidly received a brush off when my current financial situation became apparent,

My questions are mostly about fiduciary duty, reasonable expectations, and failure to disclose debts of the corporation..

quincy

Well. a lot of things led me to the point of the contract, very clearly it was poorly thought out. However I believe the intent of the document is clear. I have had the contract reviewed and rapidly received a brush off when my current financial situation became apparent,

My questions are mostly about fiduciary duty, reasonable expectations, and failure to disclose debts of the corporation..
The problem I see is that your questions now are ones that should have been asked prior to forming any agreement with your competitor.

Without benefit of seeing the contract and its terms, I can't really offer any advice - other than to seek out a legal professional in your area. If you are located near one of Michigan's law schools, the school's legal aid clinic might offer you some direction.

justalayman

based on your simplistic contract I don’t see the establishment of a fiduciary duty. I’m not saying it’s impossible there is such a duty but I don’t see it based on what you’ve presented. Your investment doesn’t necessarily create such a duty.

Whether you have a valid claim for any of the money is also not shown based on your post. Loans are generally recoverable. Investments not so much unless there is a contract stating so. It looks like your expenditures were investments and not loans.

To the failure to provide you with the debts of the company: did you ask for an accounting that would show the debt? Did they somehow hide the debts from you?

To,the yard maintenance, snow plowing, and maintenance of the store: if they were free to operate the business as they chose, I don’t see what they did, or didn’t do, as an issue.

Rbates74

Ive read a lot of contract law and theory. A lot has been written about reasonable expectations,and "intent" of the contract and the "more likely than not" principle in civil cases. Not to mention non contractual fiduciary relationships and contracts unintentional creating such relationships.

Is all of that just wind when it comes right down to court day?

quincy

Ive read a lot of contract law and theory. A lot has been written about reasonable expectations,and "intent" of the contract and the "more likely than not" principle in civil cases. Not to mention non contractual fiduciary relationships and contracts unintentional creating such relationships.

Is all of that just wind when it comes right down to court day?
When it comes to court day, what is written in the contract will be most important.

Rbates74

"Seller will get $2500 before any other expenses are paid from the store on a monthly basis. This amount assumes that the seller operate in good faith to maximize profits and grow the business""

As written I guess it is ambiguous but I had assumed a reasonable effort would have been made. And feel that I had a right to those expectations.
"all remaining profits shall be paid directly to the bank to reduce the finale liability to be financed. Any payments made on these liabilities shall be considered a down payment"

I entrusted my resources to bolster their business in order that they pay down the liabilities I needed to finance. Once they had control of my stuff they refused to use it in a responsible manor. Since they did not operate "in good faith they were not entitled to take monies from the business and therefor converted those monies for their own use, I don't think this is that ambiguous. They were given my resources to use for my benefit and failed to do so. Their negligence and conversion resulted in my "down payment" being insufficient.

I figured I may not get answers that I liked, but its better to be faced with reality early and either plan for or abort because of them.

quincy

I understand we are not providing you with the responses you want to hear - and for that I am sorry.

Please note that we are basing our answers strictly on what you have described. We have not seen your contract, and the way the contract is worded is vital in knowing where you stand against the fellow with whom you contracted.

Again I recommend you seek out legal assistance in your area. I know you said an attorney is not something you can afford at this point. At least see what help is available at legal aid clinics (law school, court clinic, wherever).

You aren't a senior citizen by any chance, are you?

Rbates74

No, I was just in a terrible position and thought I found a way out, It was a good plan that would have worked had the other side acted in good faith.

quincy

No, I was just in a terrible position and thought I found a way out, It was a good plan that would have worked had the other side acted in good faith.
The fellow obviously was not the best person with whom to contract.

Rbates74

I almost feel like I am communicating badly. i will try to simplify.

I gave $140,000 in resources to this individual in order that he use it to generate a down payment for me thus making a fiduciary relationship. I trusted him with X so that he could provide me with Y. he took that benefit for himself.

I signed a contract with him to accomplish a set and stated goal. His actions deliberately undermined that goal at every turn.

"In general, the duty of good faith and fair dealing means, for example, that parties cannot evade the spirit of the bargain, lack diligence or slack off, perform incorrectly on purpose, abuse their power when specifying the terms of a contract, or interfere with or fail to cooperate in the other party’s performance"

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">