• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract in CA for tuition benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hacktheplanet

I am in Los Angeles County, CA.

In August of '03, I accepted employment with a employer. One of the benefits that was offered to me was full tuition reimbursement after a 3 month vesting period. I was advised both in writing and verbally at the time I accepted employment that tuition costs would be repaid in full if the course was either A: accredited by a nationally recognized entity and provided college credit, and/or B: related to a function of my job. It was stated to me that the purpose of the tuition benefits were solely for my enjoyment - as long as it was a legitimate program, I could study ceramics or basket weaving for all I cared.

After 6 months of employment I requested reimbursement in advance for a well-recognized human relations course. The course has been in existence for nearly a century, has had over 5,000,000 graduates, and is used by both the US Government and a variety of major firms. In addition, transferrable college credit is available for a $39 fee. Let me be clear, this is not a fly-by-night "get rich quick" program. The total cost of this course is $1,495 plus the transcript fee. There are two additional courses from this provider that I would find interesting, bring the total potential value to ~$4,500.

I was advised by the human resources department that though the course met the standards of being accredited and providing college credit, the company would not provide reimbursement. The company advised that similar experience was available within the company, and so they would not pay for the course. I find this confusing, because logistics, marketing, and business experience is available within the company, and yet I know of other employees who are enjoying thousands of dollars in related tuition reimbursement. So I find it awfully strange - they'll let me spend $1,000 a unit at my alma mater on electronic music courses, etc, but not on this nationally recognized program?

Things have taken a turn for the worse at the company and I'd like to explore other opportunities.

Is there any case law out there that describes similar situations and how they where ruled? This is small enough that I think I can tackle it in small claims court, but I'd like to be able to show some precedent. The company that I work for is terrified of negative publicity and law suits, and may even settle if I can show that I am quite serious and competent.

pattytx

Do you have a valid, enforceable contract with the employer guaranteeing you this training at their expense? Not just an employee handbook, an email, an offer letter, etc. but an actual contract? The employer can change its non-ERISA benefit offerings at any time, and they can make exceptions as they see fit. If, in fact, such training can be garnered from the work experience, why would they pay extra money for you to go outside to get the training?

hacktheplanet

Patty,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. No, I do not have any *signed* contracts with the employer... not even an employment agreement for that matter.

However, I do have written documentation that states that the benefit is available, and a string of emails that document that their refusal to provide reimbursement for the course was due to the opinion of one individual, not based on any formal company policy.

The company provides tuition benefits solely for the enjoyment of their employees. It's actually a nice program (if it were honored), and one of a slew of incredible benefits that this company provides.

It would seem fair and reasonable to me that if this were an exception, it should have been stated before I accepted employment. Other employees are enjoying these tuition benefits (including the full reimbursement of their part-time MBA programs), so it's not even a monetary issue. This company is *rolling* in it, and frankly the divide seems to be a matter of personality conflict than official policy.

It kinda has the flavor of "well, you don't get dental insurance because we have a maintenance guy with pliers who would be glad to take care of you" as I watch my coworkers enjoy their dental insurance. Sure, there is a difference between dental insurance (fairly important and nearly universal in this industry) and rather generous tuition benefits, but again... a stark difference between a promise, actual delivery to other employees, and the benefits that I enjoy.

Thanks again, Patty. If I don't have a case I guess I'll have to drop it. But it's a hell of a lot nicer to figure that out now than in front of an annoyed judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">