• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract - SOL tolled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I wanted to know if the 5 year statute of limitations on a breach of contract suit is/can be extended based on the last time the terms of the contract are met and/or payments are made, like it is in cases of debt collection, rather than the date of the execution of the contract?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I wanted to know if the 5 year statute of limitations on a breach of contract suit is/can be extended based on the last time the terms of the contract are met and/or payments are made, like it is in cases of debt collection, rather than the date of the execution of the contract?
Statute of limitations starts when the cause of action accrues. In a contract dispute, the cause of action is the breach, not the signing.

Tax debt as offset

I am suing my ex for breach of contract of our separation agreement (not incorporated in divorce decree). He is asking for an offset amt of approx. $30000 for tax liability he paid for our 2001 jt tax return (this of course includes penalties and interest). I have two questions about this:

1) Taxes are not addressed in the sep. agreement except that we were to file separate returns for the year 2003 (the year we separated) and would be responsible for our own taxes/receive our own refunds; and I am suing for his 1/2 of unpaid expenses that are specifically addressed. Does he have a legal basis to receive a $15,000 offset (my 1/2 of the debt) if that is not something for which he is being sued?

2) Had I known any our tax return was being audited, I would have filed for Innocent Spouse Relief, but I was never contacted by the IRS nor by my ex in regard to this debt. I was a stay-at-home mom, so I didn't contribute any of the income reported; the return was completed by H & R Block, not us; and I signed the return based on the W-2 provided by my ex's employer. From what I read, I would have met the criteria for receiving the relief.

So, since the 2 year limit on appealing/filing for Innocent Spouse has elapsed - because I was never apprised of the audit - will he have a legal basis to sue me in a new suit if he isn't allowed this offset in the suit I brought against him? Don't know if it matters, but he filed an amended return in 2008 for this tax year, filing as single, and with the current address at which he lives with his wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">