• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elphaba09

CALIFORNIA

I don't know if this is the right subcategory to post this, but I'll give it a try.
I've been an egg donor. The first time I did it agency asked me specifically if I wanted to be anonymous or not. I decided to be anonymous: no contacts with the intended parent/s nor with the possible offspring/s.
The same family would like to do a second donation after a few years. I agreed with the above-mentioned conditions again.
The agency, during the second donation cycle, accidentally puts the email address of the intended parent/s not in BCC but in CC. The email fully shows the identities of both parties (at least for me).
Does this call for a breach of contract from the agency somehow?

Thanks for any insight on the matter.

adjusterjack

Does this call for a breach of contract from the agency somehow?
What if it does?

What's your goal? Do you want to punish the agency by taking their money? That's typically the remedy for a breach of contract lawsuit. You win money for any damages done to you by the breach. Assuming you even had a contract in the first place.

Next question. What are your damages? (Other than just being annoyed over it.)

Elphaba09

What if it does?

Assuming you even had a contract in the first place.

Next question. What are your damages? (Other than just being annoyed over it.)
Of course, I have a contract, everything was done according to the law.
My damage is that I've lost my anonymity, which was one of the key clauses of the contract.
When the donation is not-anonymous the offspring/s could retrieve the donor information when they become legal of age if they wish to.
In this case, both parties' information had been shared without consent.
My identity has been fully revealed, so I can be looked up and contacted any time.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
My damage is that I've lost my anonymity, which was one of the key clauses of the contract.
When the donation is not-anonymous the offspring/s could retrieve the donor information when they become legal of age if they wish to.
My identity has been fully revealed, so I can be looked up and contacted any time.
Losing anonymity isn't damage -- damage would be financial or reputational, and you can't sue for what could happen. IF you're contacted you may have a claim.

Your best bet at this time is to have your contract with the agency reviewed by an attorney to see what remedy, if any, you have.

adjusterjack

Unlesss you were cc’d instead of bcc’d, you are stil anonymous. Thst was your deal, right?
OP wrote:

"puts the email address of the intended parent/s not in BCC but in CC"

This is apparently email between the facility and the OP that was sent to the OP, if I'm reading that right.

My identity has been fully revealed, so I can be looked up and contacted any time
Has your donation already been used or can you prevent it from being used?

LdiJ

Your identity has NOT been fully revealed. Your email address has possibly been revealed...and that is not even certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">