• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I purchased a truck from a Dealership. They had me sign a purchase agreement and gave me a installment contract with a bank, all the paper work necessary to tag, register and insure the vehicle. Six months later they say the financing fell through. Their lawyer sent me a letter telling me I could get my $1000.00 downpayment back if the Dealership could not get me financed. I went back to the Dealership on a Saturday and they said they could not get me financed on Saturday and to leave the truck. I said sure but give me the $1000.00 back, they refused. Now they are suing me for the purchase price of the truck, costs and $250,000.00 punitive damages. I need to know what to do. I am trying to represent myself. HELP

Bedford Smith, III



I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Both parties signed the contract and the financing agreement. You got the truck and they got $. They cannot come back now and say the financing fell through. They should have thought about that before hand.

Now, you shouldn't have left the car. now, they cannot sue for punitive damages --- that is not an available remedy in breach of contract actions.

As to the $1000.00, you need that money back. you can sue them for larceny or embezzlement for keeping your money.

Try attorneypages.com and get yourself a lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential