• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Privacy and Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trigueoh

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi all, I have a long convoluted question for you.

My ex husband and had a joint AOL account for 4 years, in May of this past year he and I separated. In order to keep my screen name I spun off the screen name and created a new account with my billing information. This past Friday, my ex had to call AOL regarding problems with his account. During his conversation, the AOL rep messed up and got rid of my account by transferring it to his account. She effectively gave him complete control and access of my personal account. He now has access to my screenname and email. My bank statements, credit card statements, mortgage statements and all other bills are sent to this email address as well as emails from work and personal contacts. I have called AOL numerous times and they will do nothing to resolve this because my screen name is now under his billing information. I have asked them to simply delete the account so that another person does not have access to my information. They will not do this either. At this point I am considering legal action to get this resolved. Do I have a leg to stand on? By their giving another person access to all of my information, is this a breach of privacy and/or security?
Thanks!
Lisa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">