• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Verbal Contract and Government time limit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jannie123

What is the name What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
The verbal contract with the agency was made over 30 years ago. The government agency has indicated in writing that they plan for the public tourist attraction to remove itself including it's facility (building & contents) off the local government owned land in one year.
a. It's my understanding from reading, that since we're dealing with government there is a shorter "time period to file a breach of contract?"
b. Is the time frame for filing when notified "by actions the council took" which stated in their minutes we were to leave? Or, if we meet with them personally at some point and then they personally tell us.
a. We have never received an "eviction notice".
c. The government staff and council has never disputed the agreement existed.
d. Is there something we should have a lawyer file to stop the clock?
a. We don't know whether to sit and wait and see what government will do next.
e. As a not for profit registered with the state -- in the bylaws submitted 30 years ago it states -- if we no longer exist as a not-for-profit corporation that our building would be donated to the city. I suppose at the time, the assumption was that if there weren't enough volunteers to operate the public tourist attraction there would be no reason for the building and we (not-for-profit) would have ceased to exist. That is not correct - we exist and we function as per the original verbal agreement.of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You want to enforce a verbal contract made over 30 years ago? Who's still around that remembers what the contract was? Shame on your organization for not getting anything in writing.

You'll probably need an attorney.

jannie123

You are right that we need a lawyer -- I suppose the lawyer should specialize in contract law?
And, we were remiss in not getting a paper agreement, however, when the entity that owns the property where you built your attraction refuses (or says, in writing everything is fine with this verbal contract we don't need to have anything written up.) what can a person do?

You bring up a good point, about who remembers a verbal agreement - there are articles, tourist attraction publications, and some people still living who remember - but it brings forth the thought we should get statements from those people before they can't remember.

Am I correct that when dealling with government the time frame for filing ? breach of contract is shorter than filing against individuals?

tranquility

Keep all your questions in the same thread if you want any hope of a successful response.

It seems the OP wants to redo facts for different results. He focuses on a legal theory and hopes the facts fit. When the results are still unfortunate, another thread with a different focus.

No one can help you in this matter other than an attorney. The legal theories put out so far are not going to get you anything against a private party. Against the government is much harder because of immunities.

jannie123

The reason for the now government thread is the question regarding when time limit for bringing forth breach of Verbal contract comes into play. I understand there is.
There is various theories that fit this situation. It's my personal hope that I (we) will understand better when we visit the lawyer what he/she is saying and what the possible successful may be of any action we take.

I understand this will a complex situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">