• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmsdaisy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TENNESSEE

I work for a popular truck stop and when I first started working there almost a year ago I wrote on my application that my availability was days only. I have a 2 year old daughter and I am a single mother and do not have the income to hire a stable babysitter and cannot afford to miss out on raising her. About 3 weeks ago my GM requested that I work nights for one week to help train a new guy and that I would be receiving a raise if I do so. The only reason I agreed to work nights was for the raise because I haven't received any of the mandatory or performance raises. It has been a little over 2 weeks and I am still on the night shift and I have not received my raise. What can I do to resolve this issue without losing my job? Is my GM breaching our verbal contract? I am at a loss. The situation is taking time from my daughter because I have to sleep during the day. I am able to see her maybe an hour a day and it is not fair to her to miss out on spending time with her mom. It is also greatly hurting my relationship with my boyfriend. What can I do?

eerelations

A verbal contract carries exactly the same weight as the paper it's printed on. Your employer is not legally obliged to give you a raise, and is within its legal rights to schedule you to work any shift it wants you to work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As far as the law is concerned, the only time a raise is mandatory is if minimum wage is raised by the appropriate legislative body and you have been earning less than the new minimum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">