• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break room

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rachelhw

I don't know where this should be posted as there really isn't a category in the Employment category. Anyway, what legal obigations does a oublic University have to provide a break room or area for its employees? Our office just wants a microwave, but our boss tells us that he doesn't want food in the work are. So what legal rights do we have? Thank you.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I am not a lawyer. To the best of my knowledge, employers are obligated to provide a lunch room if you are not permitted to leave for lunch.

Breaks are to be provided after 4 hours of work.

I have not seen anywhere (after reading attorneys'posts) that "breaks" can or cannot include food.

For example, most employers today require smokers to step outside. Some even forbid smoking on the property. Merck pharmaceuticals comes to mind, here in PA.

If I am wrong, I hope a lawyer will jump in and correct me.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">