• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a contract with Realtor...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnmjones

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I signed a listing contract with a Realtor at the end of July, he is the owner of the Real Estate Company. He also owns a construction company, which he had come in to give me a quote on some repair work. It took nearly 4 weeks to get the quote back, and when I did the prices were very high, so I started looking for a second quote. My husband is military and we are supposed to be leaving the country in 8 weeks. Our house still has not been listed. I have been trying for 2 weeks to speak with my realtor. The "corrdinator" suggested that I keep calling his cell phone and eventually I should get lucky on get him. He is looking at an over $10,000 commision if he sells my house. I want to break the contract, how do I do this? Help!! :eek:

BelizeBreeze

mnmjones said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I signed a listing contract with a Realtor at the end of July, he is the owner of the Real Estate Company. He also owns a construction company, which he had come in to give me a quote on some repair work. It took nearly 4 weeks to get the quote back, and when I did the prices were very high, so I started looking for a second quote. My husband is military and we are supposed to be leaving the country in 8 weeks. Our house still has not been listed. I have been trying for 2 weeks to speak with my realtor. The "corrdinator" suggested that I keep calling his cell phone and eventually I should get lucky on get him. He is looking at an over $10,000 commision if he sells my house. I want to break the contract, how do I do this? Help!! :eek:
That depends ENTIRELY on the language of the contract. I suggest you read it and find the relevant 'cancellation' clause and post it back here EXACTLY.

BelizeBreeze

mnmjones said:
I do not see any 'cancellation' clause . In fact, no where does it even mention cancelling.
Is there ANYTHING in your contract regarding 'right to show or list' and a specific timeframe?

mnmjones

First, I have two contracts. A REIN Standard Listing Agreement Exclusive Right to Sell and a separate short realtors contract that discuses commision rates. Yes, under the first contracr it says: " Listing Firm has up to two (2) days from the beginning of the Listing..." However, there is no listing start date on the contract, the realtor left it blank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">