• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a Lease - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielecutter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Indianapolis Indiana. I go to a school where you sign leases about 1.5 years in advance in order to reserve a house. I signed a while ago and now it would be a horrible living situation for me. I'm currently trying to get out of a lease that starts in May 2015. The landlord is NOT compliant with zoning ordinances for Marian County. There are currently 4 people on the lease, but 5 moving in. Marian County Zoning Ordinances for dwelling unit states
"One or more human beings related by blood, marriage, adoption, foster care or guardianship together with incidental domestic servants and temporary, no compensating guests:eek:r, not more than four (4) humans beings not so related, occupying a dwelling unit and living as a single housekeeping unit." It's a single family home (6 bed 4 bath). My question: is my landlord not being compliant with this ordinance enough to break my lease?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Indianapolis Indiana. I go to a school where you sign leases about 1.5 years in advance in order to reserve a house. I signed a while ago and now it would be a horrible living situation for me. I'm currently trying to get out of a lease that starts in May 2015. The landlord is NOT compliant with zoning ordinances for Marian County. There are currently 4 people on the lease, but 5 moving in. Marian County Zoning Ordinances for dwelling unit states
"One or more human beings related by blood, marriage, adoption, foster care or guardianship together with incidental domestic servants and temporary, no compensating guests:eek:r, not more than four (4) humans beings not so related, occupying a dwelling unit and living as a single housekeeping unit." It's a single family home (6 bed 4 bath). My question: is my landlord not being compliant with this ordinance enough to break my lease?
Which school? On or off campus?

FarmerJ

If its not on campus and each person has a individual lease ( no joint leases ) then all you can do is call inspections in and when they see how many bedrooms there are they are going to either require the LL to get a rooming house license or force the LL to get one of you out , if LL had individual leases then LL will not be able to force the tenants to make up for his not being able to rent out bedrooms 5 & 6.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">