• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jer98om

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
I signed a lease for an apartment yesterday. Is it possible for me to break this lease. I called my new landlord and asked him if I can get out of it. HE hasn't called me back yet. I'm not supposed to move in until later this week. I heard that some states give you 3 days to change your mind. Is that true in KS?

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

The 3-day "cooling off period" for some contracts does not extent to real estate leases.

Your landlord is not obligated to get you out of this lease.

Gail

Who's Liable?

I signed a lease for an apartment yesterday. Is it possible for me to break this lease.
Yes, it is possible for you to break your lease, however there are monetary penalties for doing so.

I called my new landlord and asked him if I can get out of it. HE hasn't called me back yet. I'm not supposed to move in until later this week.
Since you signed the lease, your are liable up until the point the LL finds a replacement tenant. You need to help mitigate the LLs damages by actively searching for a replacement. Make sure you have proof of doing so, advertising fees, posting, etc.. The LL also must mitigate his damages by actively trying to find a replacement too.

I heard that some states give you 3 days to change your mind. Is that true in KS?
Whoever told you that needs to keep their day job...

HomeGuru

I signed a lease for an apartment yesterday. Is it possible for me to break this lease. I called my new landlord and asked him if I can get out of it. HE hasn't called me back yet. I'm not supposed to move in until later this week. I heard that some states give you 3 days to change your mind. Is that true in KS?
**A: you heard wrong about the 3 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">