• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking an agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hbruner

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I don't know if I am putting this in the right spot or not. Sorry!

My husband and I just purchased a new home. We agreed to owner finance our old home for a guy who works for one of my husband's customers. The whole time we were talking about the deal, we never once agreed to anything with the actual renters, just my husband's customer. He was like our go between. The renter's paid us part of the first month's rent at the beginning of the month. We had to chase them down to get the other part over a week later. They have already ruined the carpet in the living room and the whole house/yard is a mess. They never signed the contract I had drawn up. Now, we have a person who wants to buy the house outright. Are we legally obligated to the first people? The customer is trying to threaten us with court. He says the verbal agreement is legally binding. But we made the agreement with him and not the actual renters! We didn't even really make an agreement with him! We just told him all of the details, and he went back and told his worker. I did read that in Arkansas, if a renter pays late, that is grounds for eviction. Will this help me at all??

HomeGuru

hbruner said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I don't know if I am putting this in the right spot or not. Sorry!

My husband and I just purchased a new home. We agreed to owner finance our old home for a guy who works for one of my husband's customers. The whole time we were talking about the deal, we never once agreed to anything with the actual renters, just my husband's customer. He was like our go between. The renter's paid us part of the first month's rent at the beginning of the month. We had to chase them down to get the other part over a week later. They have already ruined the carpet in the living room and the whole house/yard is a mess. They never signed the contract I had drawn up. Now, we have a person who wants to buy the house outright. Are we legally obligated to the first people? The customer is trying to threaten us with court. He says the verbal agreement is legally binding. But we made the agreement with him and not the actual renters! We didn't even really make an agreement with him! We just told him all of the details, and he went back and told his worker. I did read that in Arkansas, if a renter pays late, that is grounds for eviction. Will this help me at all??
**A: you are protected for 2 reasons:
1) there was never a contract in the first place and
2) even if there was a contract, verbal agreements for the sale of real estate are unenforceable.

Now as to the issue of eviction, read the lease or the L/T law and start eviction action.

hbruner

Thank you for the replies. I found info on Arkansas state website. It says the landlord can evice for ANY reason. Whether you are a good or bad renter.

http://www.ag.state.ar.us/consumer/ltenant.html

Would selling my house be a good reason? This guy is trying to scare us. He is saying the renter's uncle in law is a lawyer, and we are going to have a hard time getting them to leave.

HomeGuru

hbruner said:
Thank you for the replies. I found info on Arkansas state website. It says the landlord can evice for ANY reason. Whether you are a good or bad renter.

http://www.ag.state.ar.us/consumer/ltenant.html

Would selling my house be a good reason?

**A: Doh! Not paying rent is a good reason.

This guy is trying to scare us. He is saying the renter's uncle in law is a lawyer, and we are going to have a hard time getting them to leave.
**A: did you read my post. Hint: the last sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">