• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking & Entering School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trains_derail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

A few of my son's friends were stupid enough to break into the city's middle school, stole some art projects, 3 sets of janitor's keys, urinated in the janitor's closet, rearranged the letters on the events sign to say something sexual, and even stole the keys to the sign itself so it cannot be changed. They seemed to have overlooked the fact that the school installed cameras inside and at the main entrances of the school, but they claimed to have covered their faces while inside the building. My son was not present to be involved, therefore I can't really be a major part in any discipline of the boys, but I'm still worried for the legal ramifications that could be taken if they get caught. If their identities are discovered, I assume they'd be charged with breaking and entering, but since they are all under 18, can anyone give me a range of how serious this would be?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Well, I would plan on all of them suffering expulsion, then court, then juvy or a TON of community service, then alternative schooling....

Ozark_Sophist

Multiple felonies each perhaps. Rekeying all those locks will be expensive--even if the keys were returned. Restitution, community service, and probation may allow them to get their records cleared upon successful completion.

I believe you have the moral obligation as a parent and a citizen to report the students. Your son needs to know there are legal consequences and expectations in our society.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
New Jersey

A few of my son's friends were stupid enough to break into the city's middle school, stole some art projects, 3 sets of janitor's keys, urinated in the janitor's closet, rearranged the letters on the events sign to say something sexual, and even stole the keys to the sign itself so it cannot be changed. They seemed to have overlooked the fact that the school installed cameras inside and at the main entrances of the school, but they claimed to have covered their faces while inside the building. My son was not present to be involved, therefore I can't really be a major part in any discipline of the boys, but I'm still worried for the legal ramifications that could be taken if they get caught. If their identities are discovered, I assume they'd be charged with breaking and entering, but since they are all under 18, can anyone give me a range of how serious this would be?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
As a resident (and taxpayer) of NJ, I thank you for doing your part in encouraging our state's youth to be irresponsible little pricks as well as for helping drive up my taxes. No wonder we're known as the armpit of the country. Can't you move to, like.... Canada, or something?

HomeGuru

New Jersey

**A: why are you so interested? Forget it and have your son find other friends.

trains_derail

Don't judge me based on a paragraph that I wrote asking for help.
Of course I'm taking action to right the situation as best I can in my position, and I know my son wasn't involved because he was helping me pack up my house for moving day when he got the call from one of his friends. Thank you to the few of you who actually helped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">