• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking financing agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

death_by_fire

my wife financed a set of higher-end fire alarms some time ago. on two separate occasions we have been burning in the yard after which the house was so inundated with smoke that it was uncomfortable to be in ANY section of the house. not just teary eyes, and coughing, but actual physical discomfort that i feel (as a licensed first responder) would have resulted in mild damage from smoke inhalation. we phoned the company voicing our concerns that the alarms NEVER made a sound, but their response was that the alarms were fine-tuned to only sound at a certain parts-per-million solution of smoke and air. we further voiced our concerns about the safety of such alarms, and attempted to get out of the contract, but to no avail.

one of their methods of distributing the alarms is to hold free dinners at the local fire station, and show movies in which people who are unprotected by "competant alarms" end up being burned to death or horribly disfigured - essentially the scare tactic method of persuasion. we feel that because of the nature of the product (one that is supposed to ensure safety, and peace-of-mind), and the very nature of their advertisement of the product, that we are entitled to send these alarms back as we are most ASSUREDLY NOT resting well. if there was a fire which was contained to one small area while people were sleeping, which did nothing but inundate the house with enough smoke to cause slow, gradual lung damage, these alarms have been shown to be entirely ineffective.

basically we want out of the contract so we can spend the rest of the money warning people that these things are in all aspects, questionable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

death_by_fire said:
my wife financed a set of higher-end fire alarms some time ago. on two separate occasions we have been burning in the yard after which the house was so inundated with smoke that it was uncomfortable to be in ANY section of the house. not just teary eyes, and coughing, but actual physical discomfort that i feel (as a licensed first responder) would have resulted in mild damage from smoke inhalation. we phoned the company voicing our concerns that the alarms NEVER made a sound, but their response was that the alarms were fine-tuned to only sound at a certain parts-per-million solution of smoke and air. we further voiced our concerns about the safety of such alarms, and attempted to get out of the contract, but to no avail.

one of their methods of distributing the alarms is to hold free dinners at the local fire station, and show movies in which people who are unprotected by "competant alarms" end up being burned to death or horribly disfigured - essentially the scare tactic method of persuasion. we feel that because of the nature of the product (one that is supposed to ensure safety, and peace-of-mind), and the very nature of their advertisement of the product, that we are entitled to send these alarms back as we are most ASSUREDLY NOT resting well. if there was a fire which was contained to one small area while people were sleeping, which did nothing but inundate the house with enough smoke to cause slow, gradual lung damage, these alarms have been shown to be entirely ineffective.

basically we want out of the contract so we can spend the rest of the money warning people that these things are in all aspects, questionable.
My response:

Have your attorney write them a stern letter, stating the reasons you demand to be released from the contract. If push comes to shove, you'll need to pay an expert to test the alarms and render an opinion that you can use in court.

Seek the advice of an attorney for an opinion of your current and potential other options.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">