• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

etoile12380

connecticut --
i am moving this weekend (11/8) to a new 2 bedroom apartment, i recently had a son and now we need 2 bedrooms. i had to move into the new apartment asap, so i could only give about 10 days notice here at my current residence. my lease is not up until december 31 and i will not be able to pay them the entire lump sum for my rent through that date, i will have to pay them some of it every two weeks, until january, then i will be able to pay the rest. can they sue me in that short period of time if i pay them something, even if it's not the full amount? i just don't have the whole lump sum b/c we had to put a huge deposit down at the new apartment.... thank you.
-monique

JETX

"can they sue me in that short period of time if i pay them something, even if it's not the full amount?"
*** Yes. They can take any legal actions needed immediately upon your breach.

"i just don't have the whole lump sum b/c we had to put a huge deposit down at the new apartment."
*** I would suggest you talk with your landlord and see if you can negotiate an early termination of your current lease. Otherwise, you will become liable for any damages that the landlord incurs due to your breach.

... thank y

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">