• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking up with fiancé - he won’t leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve broken up with my fiancé and I would like him to move out of the house which is in my name. He has been living and working in West Virginia for 2 months and doesn’t pay any rent or utilities but comes and goes as he pleases in this case do I still need to formally evict him to get him to leave?

justalayman

If that is considered his place of residence then yes, you would have to formally terminate his tenancy and evict him if he refuses to leave willingly.

LdiJ

So I’ve broken up with my fiancé and I would like him to move out of the house which is in my name. He has been living and working in West Virginia for 2 months and doesn’t pay any rent or utilities but comes and goes as he pleases in this case do I still need to formally evict him to get him to leave?
I would get a quick consult with a local attorney. If he has technically moved out (and living and working in another state might be technically moved out) but all he has left is a few things at your house, you might be able to simply change the locks.

Actually, its your house, you are certainly free to change the locks as you like. The question is whether or not you have to give him a new key.

FarmerJ

Just so you know the idea here is to learn if you can change the locks and not have to deal with him making a claim that you illegally evicted him. When landlords self help/ illegally evict a tenant a tenant could sue them BUT if he has been living most of the time and working else where a attorney could at least guide you more than we could as to the risk to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">