• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bringing a handgun to US from abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotgun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I live in California, the most gun hostile state I know but I am willing to jump through hoops to accomplish what I want to do.

I am a naturalized US citizen and my late father was an army officer back in the homeland. When he retired, he was awarded his service pistol, something like a German made Walther but a knock-off. Since his retirement till his death, he took care of this gun like a baby. Since he passed away about 10 years ago, the handgun sits in a secure place at my residence back in the homeland. I am facing a sale or rental of this property. Hence need to liquidate the stuff in it. I can donate the gun to police but I know it will go into the melting pot. It has a sentimental value for me and I want to hold on to it.

What is the legal procedure to bring this handgun to United States and register it ?

Thanks in advance.

xylene

Stop with the gun law hyperbole.

You are US citizen and in truth California has few restrictions on the possession of ordinary handguns.

But, you can't do this alone.

What you need to do is go to a reputable gun dealer and arrange for the gun to be imported and/or get expert guidance on what to do.

There are so many considerations.

You have not stated the "homeland". That will play a role.

There are laws on what guns can be imported. IE the exact model and specs...

Who legally own the gun now? You? Is the gun lawfully owened in the 'homeland'

If this firearm is US and Cali legal, legally yours, it may be simple as flying it here, checking it at customs, and registering it with the California authorities, just like any handgun brought into the state.

You need to all the facts and to work it out with an expert (who you will need pay - possibly a lot).

Put it this way, we often have to spend lots of money on things that a sentimental.

A cynical (or practical) view

You could easily and 100% free of legal complications buy a beautiful Walther from a gun dealer for less than what this might cost you if it got complicated. I'm sure your dad would be happy to know that you were honoring him. :)

xylene

I think he also has some questions to ask of the BATF, and US Customs, as well as if there are any export regulations concerning military firearms in the 'homeland'. ;)

CdwJava

Certain firearms may well be prohibited for import. It all depends on the firearm.

You say it is a Walther type of weapon - a knock off ... what military issues such a thing? what specific make and model of weapon are we talking about?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You also might want to contact the folks over at the NRA. They have a legal department that may be able to help you out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">