• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bringing my mom to US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhyMeAgain30

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello everyone, I'm a naturalized citizen and would like to bring my mom from England (not her native country) to US. What's the best way to do it? Should I apply for her GC here, how long does the whole process take and would she be required to go back to her home country?
Or should she visit and then file for her Adjustment of Status once she's here?
I'm assuming the latter would be better? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

FlyingRon

First, this all presumes you are at least 21 years of age. If not, you can't bring her in yet.

You need to file an I-130 application and provide your proof of relationship (YOUR birth certificate) as well as your proof of citizenship (US passport or naturalization certificate). You'll also need to complete a G-325A (biographic information) and I-864 (Affidavit of support). The latter shows you have the resources to and promise to keep your mom off the dole in the US. She'll also need a medical exam (reported on form I-693). There's a $420 fee that goes with the I-130 application.

If all is done properly, she'll get called to the consulate for an interview and be given her temporary "green card" she can use to come to the US. The permanent one will be sent in course. There's, fortunately, no "official wait" time (visa numbers, etc...) for this. The normal bureaucracy only applies. Should be less than six months.

You may wish to consult an immigration attorney to make sure all the forms needed are completed properly. Saves time (and perhaps even money).

If she was already here legitimately for some other reason, you could apply for a change of status. However, at this point, it would seem to come here legitimately, she'd have to commit immigration fraud with regard to the purpose of her visit which would bode very bad for her in the long term.

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello everyone, I'm a naturalized citizen and would like to bring my mom from England (not her native country) to US. What's the best way to do it? Should I apply for her GC here, how long does the whole process take and would she be required to go back to her home country?
Or should she visit and then file for her Adjustment of Status once she's here?
I'm assuming the latter would be better? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
You need an attorney.
To begin with it would appear that your mother would have to apply at the US Embassy in her home country. And don't forget that immigration laws are changing and being challenged in the courts on an almost daily basis.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">