• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bringing Sibling of PR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband received his green card a few months ago after coming to the US on a K1 visa. Right now we are supporting his family in his home country monetarily. We would like to bring his sister here and take care of her in our house with home schooling. She is 15 years old and just started school last year as their eldest sister refused to allow her to go to school. Her English is minimal, but my husband and I both speak their first language.

The main question is if our current idea would work. We would like to adopt her formally so that she is legally our responsibility and bring her to the US to live with us. Is this actually possible? She was not listed on the K1 application as being my husband's daughter.

Any advice is welcome,
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential